File Management for pics and vids - How do I do it?Support

Last Updated:

1. J S Machine

J S Machine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 28, 2010
    I am a former blackberry user and I've been trying to figure out the file system in this droid. I need to be able to do some things and I'm not sure they can be done.

I have some pictures and vids that I want to keep private. I am often showing my pics and vids to people and the ones I don't want to be seen are in the same folders. I have tried to move certain pics and vids to a different place using the phone itself, but I can't figure that out.

I was hoping that when I plugged up the phone to my PC it might recognize it like it does a camera or something but it doesn't. I even installed the motorola software but that didn't do anything.

If I take the card out of the phone and put it directly in my PC, I can see it that way and modify things, but when I put it back in the phone nothing is as I had changed it on the PC.

Any hints?

2. whydidnt

whydidnt New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I think there are some apps in the market that will allow you to hide files you don't want seen.

However, if you want something fairly simply and free, you can download Astro from the market. It's a very good file manager. Then within Astro, create a new folder on your SD card, begin the folder name with period "." and then move the files you don't want others to see to that. So you could create a folder called .mystuff for example. The built in media player and photo roll won't look at folders that begin with . and won't display their contents. However, you will still be able to access them by using Astro. This doesn't encrypt or hide the file on the SD card, so if others are looking at the card, or you are sharing it via PC, etc. they will see your files, but for casual sharing for others to look at this video or my pictures it works great.