File .nomediaSupport

Last Updated:

1. scoope

scoope Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my Vibrant, I created a file called .nomedia with a view to place a ringtone file in it so that the ringtone file would not show in the music player library.

However it has had the effect of hiding ALL my media files from my phone - non are accessible. When I mount (to a Mac) I cannot see a file named .nomedia and so cannot delete it, but all my media files are there. How to I get rid of the .nomedia file i cannot see?

Advertisement
  2. harukasan73

harukasan73 Well-Known Member

Oh Oh! I can help you!

ok, on your mac, go to utilities, terminal. open the terminal, and type this command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

hit enter, and then to make the command begin working, you have to restart finder.

Press the option key, click and hold on finder, and you will see an option to relaunch. Click it. Then you will see all the hidden files on your mac.

Mount your Droid, open the mounted droid, and you should see the .nomedia file. Right mouse click on the file, and choose get info.... you will see the name of the file under name & extension... delete the . in front of the .nomedia file, and hit the enter key. (make sure you have admin permissions to do these things on your mac) Exit out of get info window. Now you can manipulate the .nomedia file, by either deleting it altogether, or opening it and pulling out whatever you need. I hope this helps! I have a mac, and know a few tricks, because of course I gotta mess with everything, lol let me know if it worked!

scoope likes this.
  3. scoope

Off to work (pc environment). Will try this when I get home and will let you know how I get on.

Thx for the quick response!

4. scoope

Haru - THANKS!!!

It worked! Initially I was trying to relaunch Finder clicking on Finder on the top menu bar, but after a little research found that you relaunch via the Finder icon in the dock - doh!

Anyhow many thanks again.

Cheers

Simon

5. harukasan73

harukasan73 Well-Known Member

Youre Welcome! I like to be Helpful! :)

6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that if you use .nomedia, the file will not show up for your ringtones either. Or is that not true?

7. scoope

My problem was that the .nomedia hid all my media files from the media players. I guess I did not place the .nomedia file in the right place. I needed to know how to show hidden files once mounted on my mac (placing a "." in front of a file name on a mac creates a hidden file). In order to be able to get rid of the .nomedia file on my phone, i had to be able to see it. That means using terminal and the command that Haru shared with me.

8. snapper.fishes

If you use ES File Manager, you can change the settings to show hidden files.

9. scoope

I'm pretty new to android systems (former BB user). Where would I find ES file manager and doesthis require a root?

10. snapper.fishes

It's on the android market, and it's free. And no, it does not require root. (Though rooting will give it access to the system folder)

11. scoope

I looked in the Market and a search for ES File Manager comes up with one hit - droid2file.

12. snapper.fishes

My bad. Search for "EStrongs" instead. That should come up with 3 apps - Task Manager, File Explorer and Security Manager.

scoope likes this.