• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File size limit.

AFAIK any size file can be loaded to the internal memory as long as you have the space. SD cards can handle only files less than 4GB due to a limitation of the FAT32 file system used on them. It is possible to format a SD card in a modern file format such as ext4 and load files over 4GB, but it's not as quite simple as reformatting the card and go.

Upvote 0
AFAIK any size file can be loaded to the internal memory as long as you have the space. SD cards can handle only files less than 4GB due to a limitation of the FAT32 file system used on them. It is possible to format a SD card in a modern file format such as ext4 and load files over 4GB, but it's not as quite simple as reformatting the card and go.

Thxs for the info. Doesn't android use FAT32 system? So I wont be able to put files over 4gb on anyway.

Upvote 0
You misunderstand. The file itself is not ext4 or FAT32 or whatever. Those are file *systems*, ie the type of encoding used to put files on hard drives or memory chips.

Files of different types can be stored in memory using the same file system. File types are distinguished by the filename extension, the letters after the dot at the end of the filename. For example xxx.txt (text file) or xxx.exe (Windows executable program file).

Upvote 0
You misunderstand. The file itself is not ext4 or FAT32 or whatever. Those are file *systems*, ie the type of encoding used to put files on hard drives or memory chips.

Files of different types can be stored in memory using the same file system. File types are distinguished by the filename extension, the letters after the dot at the end of the filename. For example xxx.txt (text file) or xxx.exe (Windows executable program file).

I get you. So files over 4gb can go onto internal memory, how to, I don't know. I thought I had a solution for a minute. I put a 6.37gb onto my external hard drive then connected it to the OTG slot and transferred it. The file was empty. I'm stuck for ideas.

Upvote 0
What format is your external HDD using? If it's FAT32, the 6.37GB file would have been truncated and incomplete.

No you don't get it. An external hard drive is usually formatted either ext4 or NFTS, which is why it can store a 6GB file. The external sd card is formatted fat32,which cannot go beyond 4GB per file.

And if the HDD had been formatted as EXT4, Windows wouldn't have been able to use it, and NTFS, Android wouldn't have been able to use it.

Upvote 0
What format is your external HDD using? If it's FAT32, the 6.37GB file would have been truncated and incomplete.

And if the HDD had been formatted as EXT4, Windows wouldn't have been able to use it, and NTFS, Android wouldn't have been able to use it.

The external drive is NTFS. I can actually play the mp4 6.37gb file with mx player through the otg slot but not transfer it. I'm beginning to think that internal memory wont go over 4gb. I've tried a few ways but they stop or crash around the 4gb mark.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones