• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File transfer software

syvmn

May 12, 2012
Hey guys I've read a lot of threads about file transferring but I cant seem to come up with what Im looking for.

Heres the scenario: I have a lot of dvd's backed up to my home computer and I like having a few on my phone (HTC One X) for downtime. I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few months and would like to load my phone up for the flight out there, and then when we come back I would like to use the Resorts wifi to pull new movies from my home computer to my phone.

Is this possible? I don't want to stream files from my home computer, I want to download them to my phones internal memory from any place on earth

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like you would need an FTP server to upload your movies to, then use something like AndFTP to download when you need. My hosting plan includes a personal use FTP server with it, I can access it but others can not. Most cloud storage sites like dropbox or box have limits to how large a file you can upload to them which may make them useless in your case...as well as the fact you would be limited to how much bandwidth you can have with some and how much storage you actually have...some start as low as 2 GB. I would suggest taking a look at remote desktop apps to see if that would suit you. I know you said you don't want to stream from your home computer to your phone but that may be the easiest and cheapest option IMO. You could try Splashtop Remote Desktop or gotomypc which is a pay service that gives a free month trial.

The only other alternative I can think of is get a cheap laptop and lots of removable storage...take all of that with you...but I think you are looking for a less bulky solution.

Upvote 0
syvmn;[URL="tel:4446832" said:
4446832[/URL]]Hey guys I've read a lot of threads about file transferring but I cant seem to come up with what Im looking for.

Heres the scenario: I have a lot of dvd's backed up to my home computer and I like having a few on my phone (HTC One X) for downtime. I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few months and would like to load my phone up for the flight out there, and then when we come back I would like to use the Resorts wifi to pull new movies from my home computer to my phone.

Is this possible? I don't want to stream files from my home computer, I want to download them to my phones internal memory from any place on earth

Thanks for any help!

Its so funny you mentioned this. I will be going to Hawii this year and have DVD movies stored on our home computer as well. My solution is I have an 8 GB Micro SD card to store nothing but movies. I can store at least 8 2 yrs movies or so on the card. I have an Atrix 4G with the Lapdock, so I just dock my phone, plug in the sd card into one of the USB ports on the dock using a USB micro SD card adaptor. Or I can just place the SD card in my phone and watch. Before this, I would take our DVD player with a lot of DVD's to watch on the plane. (What a pain this was.)

Upvote 0
As far as I can understand, that tutorial is for a home network.

I want to be able to transfer files between my computer in Minnesota, and my phone in Hawaii.

andFTP seems to be able to do this, however I have zero networking skills and haven't a clue how to set up an FTP server on my computer. Anyone have a tutorial on how to do this (Securely)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones