• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File transfer.

Hi everyone

Anyone out there ever transferred files over 4GB in size from Windows pc to their android phone/tablet. If so, I would love to know how. I've been trying all sorts of methods, keep hitting a brick wall. I've tried AirDroid, Droid Over wifi, ES File Explorer, Go File Master, EZ Drop, Google Drive, MediaFire. At the moment I'm trying the FPT way with Filezilla on my pc and AndFTP on my tablet but I'm not sure what the Host name is or what the username and password are. Someone said that the Host name was the name of the pc then I heard it was the IP address of the pc. The only username and password I use are the ones to log onto my pc. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with settings within the pc like enabling/disabling something or maybe something to do with permissions. Any help would be gratefully received.

Have you tried simply connecting the device to the PC via USB and copying the file(s) with drag-and-drop in Explorer?

Which storage volume on the device are you attempting to copy to? FAT32, the default file system for microSD cards, has a file size limit of 4GB.

Yes, I've tried d a d, only works below 4GB. Cant transfer to tablet internal memory or sd card anything over 4GB. Windows 4GB file size limit is a joke. You would think the developers would change it in this day and age. It was developed for Windows way back in '95.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've tried d a d, only works below 4GB. Cant transfer to tablet internal memory or sd card anything over 4GB. Windows 4GB file size limit is a joke. You would think the developers would change it in this day and age. It was developed for Windows way back in '95.

We do have more advanced file systems, but they're either proprietary and require licensing and $$$, like Windows NTFS, or not so interoperable between operating systems, like Linux EXT4, which Android uses natively and Windows you got to buy a $40 program. So it's a legacy from the mid 90s we're basically stuck with.

Upvote 0
We do have more advanced file systems, but they're either proprietary and require licensing and $$$, like Windows NTFS, or not so interoperable between operating systems, like Linux EXT4, which Android uses natively and Windows you got to buy a $40 program. So it's a legacy from the mid 90s we're basically stuck with.

Yeah, what a downer. That still leaves me wondering how to get files over 4GB onto my tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones