• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps FileInputStream

fastismatt

Lurker
Dec 22, 2009
I'm trying to read in some large matrices stored in .txt files. My code works fine in my computer (something of which I have a fairly good understanding of how it works), but then not in the Android emulator. This is purely because I don't really have an understanding of the Android file system and I can't seem to access my files correctly. In addition, a lot of other potential solutions I've read have contradicted each other and still don't work for me.

The important part of my code is...

First I use either...

FileInputStream fis = (FileInputStream)con.getResources().openRawResource(R.raw.matrix);

...or...
FileInputStream fis=con.openFileInput("res/raw/matrix.txt");

...then...
BufferedInputStream bis = new BufferedInputStream(fis);
dis = new DataInputStream(bis);

So what I'm wondering is are either of those two ways to get a file input stream correct? If not, what is the best way. Also, in which directory do I need to save my text files?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi fastismatt,

Your first bit of code looks correct to me.

In one of my apps I have a file called "tunnels.txt" in the project under the "res/raw" folder. And I access the resource with the ID R.raw.tunnels, as shown below:

Code:
public class TempestActivity extends Activity implements OnClickListener {
   . . .
    private void readTunnels() {
        Resources res = this.getResources() ;

try {
            InputStream is = res.openRawResource(R.raw.tunnels) ;
            TunnelDef.readTunnels(is) ;
            is.close() ;        	
        }
        catch( IOException ioe ) {
        	Log.e("TempestActivity", "readTunnels failed with error: "+ioe) ;
        }
    }
    . . .
}

After that it's just standard Java to read from an InputStream.

If you're reading a file that isn't part of your application, then you'll have to do it differently.

Mark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones