Filesystem/Stock OS Basics

Last Updated:

1. djkilgus

djkilgus Member This Topic's Starter

I have a couple basic questions I'm hoping I can get answered before I start messing around with different ROMs/Radios/Kernels...

Before I rooted, when I felt like things were getting cluttered or had an OCD attack, I would do a factory reset. How does that work? What "source" files are used? Is the emmc directory the only directory not "cleaned" in a factory reset? Keep in mind I'm used to my workstation/laptop experience where I would format, then install a clean version of the OS from a CD/DVD and then I would install 3rd party apps and move my data back. Any analogies would help my simple mind!

One day I did a factory reset, the decided to root. Everything went perfect. I moved some bloatware to an apps.disabled directory, then did all my customizing again. Now I want to play with different ROMs. I do however want to hedge my bets in case I ever want to go back to where I am today. I've done a clockworkmod backup. Does that essentially copy all the phone storage (except SD Card data) over to the SD Card? If not, what is left behind. Will a clockworkmod wipe erase ALL of the on board phone storage (except the SD Card data)?

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

A backup from clockwork is like a system restore point, puts your phone back to how you had it, except for radio, and hboot.

3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I thought clockwork backed up the kernal...no?

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Hmmm actually I think you're right

5. jdkoreclipse

jdkoreclipse Well-Known Member

It backs up the whole system (besides hboot and radio), exactly the way you had it before.

For example:
    you are running :
    virtuous 3.1
    kingkernel #5 cfs
    Incredible revolution theme
    installed linpack and quadrant from the market
    synced facebook twitter and contacts

and you then flashed cm6 and you decided you liked virtuous better. You would just nandroid back to virtuous, you would get back the whole system accounts, theme, kernel, contacts and such, just the way it was at the time of nand backup.