filter contacts with keypad... biggest issue with droid... for me

Last Updated:

1. drwits

drwits Member This Topic's Starter

okay...
    first...
    i love the droid. like totally completely am in love with it. kind of had my regrets when i heard about dragon/passion rumors but... i love the keyboard. after a week with it, i really like the layout.

ONLY issue is that if i go to my "phone" or keypad... i can't start typing in a contact with the keypad and filter contacts that way (either by name with t9 or phone number). this is my favorite way of calling people. i hate that i have to either 1) go to my call log 2) go to contacts; have too many so really isn't very convenient at all 3) use search function which takes way too many steps cause you can't call directly from the search criteria... you have to open the contact first.

i have been able to do this on every cell phone that i have owned (pda or not). and of course when we are able to root this badboy i will be able to do whatever i want to it (sense!). i have searched all over the forums on this... and i'm kind of surprised that i haven't found complaints about it yet.

? am i missing something?

Advertisement
  2. just02

just02 New Member

It's not exactly what you're looking for but I think you may like it, somewhat... try going to the phone app and tapping the search button on the lower right. That will bring up the keyboard. :)

3. eugkim

eugkim Member

This was my big complaint as well. Superdial is a pretty good answer - made it like a regular phone. Will bring up contacts as you use the keypad.

4. spike4405@yahoo.com

spike4405@yahoo.com New Member

Try a program called Acontacts it has many diff options for looking up contact information

5. drwits

Thanks for the acontacts tip guys. It'll be a decent fix for now. I can't wait to get sense on this thing! Hope we can get the droid rooted soon.

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Super Dial is what I use for this - brings back the easy contact lookup that I had on the Blackberry...start typing a name and it filters your contacts to those that match, or just type a number and dial normally...other than some occasional lag it's very good.

7. darth_cholo

darth_cholo Active Member

The search buttom from the home screen will fo this. That's what I use. I just disabled internet search. So it brings up contact and app matches only.

8. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Good point - I used to use that, and it works quite well. But the larger keys on the Super Dial keypad are quicker/easier for me to use than the smaller keys on the keyboard, found I made fewer errors as I was entering a name...

9. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Just so you know, putting Sense on the DROID is going to be a pretty good task. ALL the .png's in the Sense UI need to be re-sized for the higher resolution, and we have to wait until HTC actually updates Sense to Android 2.0 (or 2.1 as I've seen). Although rooting the DROID is the first step its barely the half of it.

10. drwits

Haha... my bad. I didn't even stop to think of the differing resolutions. Re: htc's progress in porting to 2.0... sounds like they are on their way!
    HTC Hero caught running Android 2.1? -- Engadget

Dialer thing is still an issue and I'm sure many roms will address it.

11. svtpickemup

svtpickemup Member

@drwits,

Dude,

SuperDial. It does EXACTLY what you want. I was a BB user for years. This app fits the bill.

You can have it replace the the built in dialer.

The developer is super-quick to respond to any issues you have.

12. mdevine

mdevine Well-Known Member

How did you limit the search to only contacts and apps. That would be great for me. Thanks

Found it under settings- search. Thanks

13. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Apps and contacts are always at the top of the search list anywa