• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Final Fresh Hero beta out, next will be final release

dmm5157

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2009
Florida
Looks like Flipz put out an update to donors/testers right now, but I am encouraged. Looks like it may rival ZenEXP, which is nice because I always enjoyed Flipz's ROMS. I love the idea of a Fresh Updater on the phone. Very nice.

Here's a rundown for the improvements over Fresh Hero 2.3. I'm going to do a nandroid back-up and give it a shot tomorrow.

• Fixed sync / push issue -- Note that an issue with syncing a large amount of contacts still exists and is a problem in the source from Sprint/HTC. If you have a large number of contacts then it will keep running until it gets this error in debug: SyncManager(): canceling and rescheduling sync because it ran too long. But eventually it will go through. I can't control that. But as I said I fixed the issue where push and sync weren't working properly.
  • Fixed FriendStream not working -- Peep is now included in this rom because it's needed for FriendStream. But by release time I will be providing a patch through Fresh Updater to remove peep and friendstream.
  • Added Fresh Updater! Check the How To for information on setting it up and using it. This project has been on the back burner for months, and I

unless there are serious bugs, i like to give roms a few days...i installed
Fresh Hero 2.5.2 Beta available for donors/testers

and i have to say.......i like it so far. i haven't found anything quirky or not working. i'll report back in a day with new findings. looks like he may have done it again. :p

He wrote 2.5.2 in the e-mail subject (he was rushing the e-mail a bit), but It's actually Fresh Hero 2.3.2.

Upvote 0
He wrote 2.5.2 in the e-mail subject (he was rushing the e-mail a bit), but It's actually Fresh Hero 2.3.2.

hehe, you're right!! :p but only you'd know that if you got the email...

anyhow, what are your thoughts? my first concern is to disable haptic feedback in vanilla lockscreen and dialer? other than that i haven't noticed any bugs.

Upvote 0
hehe, you're right!! :p but only you'd know that if you got the email...

anyhow, what are your thoughts? my first concern is to disable haptic feedback in vanilla lockscreen and dialer? other than that i haven't noticed any bugs.

We have people over tonight so I don't have time to flash the beta tonight (unless somehow everyone leaves early).

I'll flash it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Our company left a little earlier tonight than I was expecting so I decided to give Fresh Hero 2.3.2 a try.

First off, looks like it's a little heavier on internal storage than Zen. It had about 85MB free when I started out. I got rid of a few things here and there, but overall I think Zen starts out with over 100MB. I have quite a few apps so this is a bit of a bummer for me.

Gmail Sync is working, and the call lag seems to be better, but still not as fast as ZenEXP.

Overall, it's a solid ROM but needs to be overclocked. This ROM is not as fast as Zen.

I'll likely be restoring back to Zen tomorrow. I played around with this latest ROM, but it just didn't fit right for me right now. I'll wait until the final release.

Upvote 0
This may seem like an odd question, but could someone point out for me exactly how the 2.1-based Fresh ROMs are better than the standard Sprint 2.1 release? I ran Fresh 2.1.2 for a day or so last week. It has a cooler looking launcher bar, I suppose, but it wasn't any faster, and I didn't run across any other major differences or advantages...

Upvote 0
This may seem like an odd question, but could someone point out for me exactly how the 2.1-based Fresh ROMs are better than the standard Sprint 2.1 release? I ran Fresh 2.1.2 for a day or so last week. It has a cooler looking launcher bar, I suppose, but it wasn't any faster, and I didn't run across any other major differences or advantages...
the big difference is the Rosie (launcher bar), the Sprint apps have been removed, and the apps have been deodexed. That along with some fine tuning to make it all just work better..

Fresh also includes Wireless Tether, SuperUser and Launcher Pro. Fresh also allows using Live Wallpapers even in SenseUI.

Upvote 0
glad to see he worked out the sync/push issue... can't wait til the public release. DC is nice.. ZenEXP didn't do it for me.. but I've always liked Fresh ROM's

i'm glad to see there are others like me...i don't see what the big deal is about that T-Mobile rom..ZEN or whatever? it looks different...WOAH! i tried it for a few hours...it wasn't that hot. besides, there's like 200 threads of shtuff not working with it. i don't understand the allure in using a rom you have to do 25 different 'fixes' for after you've set up the hundred other things you already have to in these phones. i prefer Fresh. his stuff is slick, he spit polishes them, and nearly every single thing works. i just found a bug when updating my prl however with the Beta 2.3.2. i get a force close. meh...

Upvote 0

A BIG difference for me is Bluetooth. Sprint Bluetooth works flawlessly with my JVC KD-AVX77. Fresh Bluetooth has a huge lag at the beginning of the phone call where the person on the other end can hear me but I can't hear them. If I wait for 20 seconds or so then they can hear me. I experience quite a few hangups from people asking me questions I can't hear at the beginning of the call.

Everything else in Fresh is better than Sprint 2.1 as far as I'm concerned (especially the microphone on the keyboard in Fresh, makes me look like a Olympic texter!)

Oops, I forgot one more thing, I have a few apps and it seems the free memory goes fast. I am hovering around 20 MB free even after deleting apps to the minimum I can stand.

I don't understand the push stuff, if it allows me to push some stock programs off the phone then I need to learn that!

Upvote 0
A BIG difference for me is Bluetooth. Sprint Bluetooth works flawlessly with my JVC KD-AVX77. Fresh Bluetooth has a huge lag at the beginning of the phone call where the person on the other end can hear me but I can't hear them. If I wait for 20 seconds or so then they can hear me. I experience quite a few hangups from people asking me questions I can't hear at the beginning of the call.

Everything else in Fresh is better than Sprint 2.1 as far as I'm concerned (especially the microphone on the keyboard in Fresh, makes me look like a Olympic texter!)

Oops, I forgot one more thing, I have a few apps and it seems the free memory goes fast. I am hovering around 20 MB free even after deleting apps to the minimum I can stand.

I don't understand the push stuff, if it allows me to push some stock programs off the phone then I need to learn that!

i can help you push and pull apps if you want to learn...its fairly easy once you understand and know the commands. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones