1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Finally a decent business contacts app for android

Last Updated:

1. cquinn

cquinn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I finally found a business contacts manager for android that is worth a damn. DejaOffice. And its free (at least for now). Robust contacts, calendar, tasks, notes and expenses. It's not perfect but it is by far the best business contacts manager available for an android phone. For all of you who had despaired of ever having an android phone equal your blackberry worry no more. More info here

I'm not affiliated with this company in any way. But I've gotten quite attached to my Evo in the past couple of weeks and didn't want to send it back over what is a deal breaker for me. Hope this helps.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

That's _pretty good_ info, many thanks.

I also manage hundreds of contacts on my phone and have found Gesture Search _really_ effective at fast searching (free in the Market, made by Google). It's upped my effectiveness like crazy.

3. Randy99

Randy99 New Member

This may be good news for me... just last week I converted my Palm Desktop data over to a Droid X using Companionlink for Google.

I'm getting up to speed OK, but one thing I hate so far is apparently under Android, contact notes basically aren't editable! All I can do is a open a small window which displays only a few lines of editable contact notes. This really sucks for me because I was a heavy user of contact notes. Does DejaOffice provide robust note taking on contacts?

Thanks, Randy

4. cquinn

i don't know how robust but there is a field for individual contact notes. It's pretty extensive including a number of user definable fields. Depending on the size of your sd card it'll hole up to 46,000 contacts. Not bad.

5. evperry

evperry Well-Known Member

I looked at the website.

I wasnt clear on the current sync options for android. Can you cloud sync at all? or at least back up to outlook?

Thanks.

P.S. This was the last piece of he puzzle for me to switch to android.

6. cquinn

It looks like the only way to back up at present is to copy your contacts to your hard drive. The software is in beta so there's not a lot of documentation to use for guidance. A file manager like Astro is necessary to perform routine file tasks but backups can be done by connecting your phone to your desktop with the usb charging cable.

7. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

8. cquinn

9. foxhunter

foxhunter Member

I'm getting up to speed OK, but one thing I hate so far is apparently under Android, contact notes basically aren't editable! All I can do is a open a small window which displays only a few lines of editable contact notes. This really sucks for me because I was a heavy user of contact notes. Does DejaOffice provide robust note taking on contacts?

Thanks, Randy[/QUOTE]

Randy - yes you can. FANTASTIC!! Like you this was a dealbreaker for me on the native Android people app and I've tried loads of others before finding this one which really seems to work.

10. JayinToronto

JayinToronto Member

HAve read in reviews that it is a serious battery drainer. Thoughts?

11. BamaPanda

BamaPanda Member

I downloaded this, but it looks far from free if you wish to transfer info from Outlook. There is a 14 day trial on the software, but I have yet to get it to work.

And I spent hours getting all my contacts info lined up in Outlook! :(

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

If it's got bugs and problems you might want to email the developers about it, let them know and see what they have to say about it.

13. timm9

timm9 Well-Known Member

I have been using Deja Office and Companion Link to sync outlook to my cell since the first Droid. Works great and has actually improved with different sync (cloud, USB, etc.) options since the first version.

14. BamaPanda

BamaPanda Member

Ditched the Deja. All I needed was a good interface to store my contacts.

I found DW Contacts ...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dw.contacts.free&hl=en

It is far away the most customisable droid app I have ever used. It loads my contacts by company name, and individual personal names at the same time.
    I can set up any group, and see all contacts aligned with that group instantly. I can totally leave out the picture option, which is on every contacts app I have seen.

Lots there. And it is free. Paid version is 10.00, and I may get that for some convienience features.

Just thought I would share.

15. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

+1. Recently worked with them on 2 issues:

a) lack of support for all phone number fields found in Outlook
    b) when a fax number was the same as the phone number (small business for example) only one of those fields was shown.

TBH, most contact apps had/have these two issues, though if you just have a few 'personal' contacts they're not that big of an issue. Oh, and some apps will show the number but just have 'Other' as the description.

A few emails back and forth with examples and both are now fixed, so Kudos to DW for being so responsive.

Oh, one of the fields in Outlook has no equivalent in Android but all others are supported now, even though a lot are fairly "obscure". I believe the non-supported one is called 'Home 2' in Outlook ....

Dave