• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FINALLY A WORKING JELLY BEAN ROM!! Public release! Update from ICS!

Do you want more dev for this phone or is it time to let it go?

• Total voters
Does anyone know which file is loaded when the charger is plugged in with phone off? I tried changing zte_charger in system\bin but that wasnt it. I'm trying to make it boot when plugged in.
Thanks!
Looks like zte_charger supposed to use battery_*.png files from /system/etc/images/charger/ folder but it does not do that. I played with those images and it des not seem zte_charger is even being fired.
There's another file in root - charger. This one seems to be executed on plugging the power cable and probably has all the charging images inside. I tried to replace this file with a simple script from http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...ower-on-android-when-the-charger-is-connected which worked for ICS 4.0.4 but it was located in /system/bin/battery_charging file there. In JB even removing of /charger file has no effect - on reboot it is being restored and replaces the script file, which supposed to let the phone to boot into android after plugging the power cable.
I need this feature and will be probably downgrading back to ICS

Upvote 0
I also believe it to be the charger file in root. I tried editing the file in the boot image itself with the same script as you. The file stays on reboot now but will get stuck on the Android loading screen if I plug in while phone is off. Phone boots fines when not plugged in or plugged in for boot so I'm pretty sure it's that charger file... Now only if I knew how to edit it correctly

Upvote 0
I also believe it to be the charger file in root. I tried editing the file in the boot image itself with the same script as you. The file stays on reboot now but will get stuck on the Android loading screen if I plug in while phone is off. Phone boots fines when not plugged in or plugged in for boot so I'm pretty sure it's that charger file... Now only if I knew how to edit it correctly
Root is a ramdisk, you need to unpack and repack boot.img

Upvote 0
I downgraded back to ICS with preformatting internal storage as advised., I only need this phone to be hotspot in my car for the waze app in android headunit

Upvote 0
I have unpacked and repacked with android kitchen, but it doesn't like the script, it just freezes on plug in of the charger while off. Just wasn't sure if there was something else I needed to edit in the ram disk like a hash check or something. I am also hoping to use this in a car, but as a extra security measure that turns on and automatically sends me a text

Upvote 0
Sawbones - many thanks for the JB ROM. Installed perfectly.

I saw above that you have the S4 with FreedomPop. If it's the SPH-L720T triband version, any chance you could post or PM the Device/carrier folder? My L720T won't update PRL or Profile, and I saw on xda that replacing the /carrier folder with a known working copy should fix it.

Unfortunately I can't help you out there bc my S4 isn't the "T" version.

Cheers,
-SB

Upvote 0
My FreedomPop Force ICS ROM has battery problem - Always shutdown at near 33% battery. So, I tried to update to JB.
I used ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES and ConnectionOptimizer.apk in this thread. So far it works fine, feels faster, although there are some issues:
1. Network seems have less signal than old ROM. For example: In several locations, old ROM reports 2~3bar 3G signal, new ROM reports 0~1 bar 4G signal. My experience is old ROM works better in weak signal places. In good signal 4G places, all work fine.
2. Battery problem is still same, no change.

You may want to try downloading the latest freedompop PRL and try installing that. You may be getting lower signal because of using Sprint PRL which is in my version.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in so long, everyone. Been very busy.

Cheers,
-SB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you using the sawbones rom or my freedompop rom?

Sawbones rom is missing hundreds of xbin symlinks. One of them is the sh symlink. In system/bin though there is a symlink for sh which is linked to mksh .

I am also using the 6.0.4.4 recovery as adb sideload works on it.

I did check the logs and it isn't actually working.

My ROM is missing busybox links bc it's just the stock Sprint. I would recommend everyone to install the stericcson busybox from the play store.

Cheers,
-SB

Upvote 0
You may want to try downloading the latest freedompop PRL and try installing that. You may be getting lower signal because of using Sprint PRL which is in my version.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in so long, everyone. Been very busy.

Cheers,
-SB

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but I mentioned elsewhere (after originally seeing on the FreedomPop forums) that the batteries that came with the early FreedomPop refurb Forces were counterfeit OEM batteries. Peel back the label and you'll see a stamping that says 1100 mah. That likely explains the random drops in battery percentage, along with the spikes in charging. Mine would always go from 56% directly to 100% when recharging. I bought a used OEM battery and it solved the problem.

One way I kinda noticed how to tell if the battery has the correct capacity is to let it charge completely while the phone is off. With the OEM battery, when it is full, the charging animation stops, and it instead shows a full battery with a checkmark next to it. When I used the FreedomPop-supplied battery or another generic battery I bought online, no matter how long you left it charging, it wouldn't get to this point.

Reactions: sawbones999
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a problem that I hop you can help me with.

About a week ago, I installed the sawbones version of JB on my Force using CM Touch Recovery, because my phone was being stupidly slow and I had seen this page before. Wiped device, installed, everything worked. Wifi, data, text, calls, and ran smooth as butter.

Fast forward to today, and out of the blue text messages stop working. Every message I send a message, I get this in return: "You are not allowed to send text messages. Msg 2120"

Things I have tried:
  • Update PRL/Profile. No effect.
  • Full wipe and re-flash. No effect
Then did some research and some suggested falling back to ICS and re-updating the PRL. I figured I'd try it:
  • Attempted to restore the stock recovery, using instructions from http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-stock-recovery.743724/ (because of course I didn't make any backups -_-), succeeded in flashing the image, but booting into recovery led to a black screen (backlight was on, but nothing on the screen itself). Reflashed CM Touch Recovery, back to square one.
  • Attempted to follow instructions on page 4 to reset to the update.zip you provided in the first post. First, flashed the force_partition archive, then cleaned everything and tried to flash update.zip. Failed due to an error, return code 0. Log said it coundn't find two things, one was emmc, don't remember the other. Reflashed the sawbones rom, and back to square one.
So if anyone could help with either fixing the text issue or getting me back to ics, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I should note that calls and data still works, so this isn't urgent.

Upvote 0
Well it has been a long time coming but we finally have a working Jelly Bean 4.1.2 ROM that can be flashed onto the ICS phones!

It started with Shinru2004 and his nandroid dump of a Sprint 4.1.2 Force 4g. SuperR took that nandroid and made a flashable debloated, rooted, de-odexed zip. Unfortunately neither of these would boot on a device which previously had ice cream sandwich installed.

I was able to get it to boot by modifying that ROM by replacing the updater-script, updater-binary, and zImage with ones from DSF .7. That was with the 3.0.8 kernel and some things did not work (wifi, bluetooth, camera). To be expected when using system image from 3.4 kernel with 3.0.8 kernel, but calling, text and data did work.

Shortly after, Downgraded286 posted that he had a textnow phone with 4.1.2. I asked him to use online nandroid backup to get a nandroid because I knew that this would include the modem.img and thought that might be the underlying issue.

I flashed that modem.img and the result was I couldn't get any ROM to boot except my modded JB rom with the old kernel and then there was no network connectivity at all and some other issues.

So I downloaded the ZTE Boost ROM that is up on ZTE's website and took a deep look at the updater-script and the image files that were included. There were many more than what you would normally see inside a custom rom, so I again asked Downgraded286 if he would be willing to use dd to copy all of the partitions that corresponded to the image files in that ZTE ROM, and here SuperR stepped up again with a script which would do just that.

Downgraded286 ran that script and uploaded the results and just now, tonight, I renamed those image files to match the files from the ZTE ROM, copied them into the SuperR debloat/deodex, made the corrseponding additions to the updater-script, zipaligned, signed, and built with rom kitchen...and BAM! It works!

I had just restored my phone to ICS with the ZTE rom so I had to reinstall CWM (which meant rooting, which cannot be done with 1 click root anymore on that rom, but towelroot worked, the newer zte boost rom also has swype included, but not the JB rom. Really different from the first boost rom I had). Anyway I got cwm installed, wipe factory reset, wiped dalvik, installed the zip and it booted! Everything works! Camera! Bluetooth! WIFI! Data! Everything!

Finally ZTE Force 4g users who had ICS can upgrade to JB! It's only 2 years late, but here it is!
This ROM should work with Sprint, Virgin Mobile, and Boost! I will be adding another link here later for TextNow users with ICS who want JB.

Keep in mind this is a very bare, basic ROM (being debloated) but it is small and I would say will make an excellent base ROM for future dev. I believe it's noticeably faster than ICS but haven't benchmarked anything yet. Very responsive.

If you flash this and decide that you want to go back to an ICS rom you will have to install the ZTE boost rom from the zte site at this link FIRST
http://www.zteusa.com/media/wysiwyg/boost-force/update.zip

Just making a nandroid and flashing back to it will not work.

That is because this JB update will update your aboot, modem, tz, and other firmware partitions to the version required for Jelly Bean and a nandroid will not backup these partitions. If you flash an ICS rom right after this without using the zte boost rom to first restore those partitions it will not boot. You have been forewarned. Also you need to use the original recovery which is stickied in the forum to flash the ZTE update.zip (unless you care to modify the updater-script first). If you have CWM you can use that to reboot to bootloader, or adb, and then use fastboot to boot the original recovery image. After you reflash the ZTE boost ROM if you want to reinstall CWM and go back to your nandroid, install CM or DSF, whatever, reroot with towelroot then follow the instructions for installing CWM recovery.

These instructions apply to downgrading from JB to ICS only, to install JB just download from the link below, reboot into CWM, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik, and then choose install zip from external sd card and select the file from the link below.

Here is the public link to the Jelly Bean ROM in my dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zg761yz3p5yda2/ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip?dl=0

And on Mega
https://mega.co.nz/#!WwUAWRwC!c7UKnKvHzurIdrE6hLOx5kbAi5y7b1KKtVKw5vKXesk

Here is the MD5 sum for comparison: bc1c0576e3ac925613eb9ec476e6197e

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS GOES TO THOSE WHO HELPED IN THIS COMMUNITY EFFORT!! SHINRU2004 FOR THE ORIGINAL NANDROID, SuperR FOR BUILDING THE ORIGINAL FLASHABLE ZIP AND THE SCRIPT WHICH DUMPED THE PARTITIONS WE NEEDED, AND A HUGE THANKS TO DOWNGRADED286 FOR BEING WILLING TO HELP US GET THE MISSING PIECES WE NEEDED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

PROPS TO TEXTNOW SUPPORT ALSO FOR BEING WILLING TO SHARE THE ROM OPENLY, EVEN THOUGH IT DIDN'T HAVE THE PARTITIONS WE NEEDED TO UPGRADE FROM ICS TO JB.

I did choose to use the sprint source bc it has config for sprint, boost, and virgin mobile included. Why Boost and Virgin Mobile have not released this, and Sprint never made it an OTA update, I have no clue! The textnow rom is very much branded textnow and oriented toward their SIP service and so I will release a textnow update separately in another post in this thread.

Cheers all and enjoy! Look for me to soon release a ROM with some more features added in (like the swype from the ZTE rom) and some other goodies.

-SB

Oh I almost forgot, shout out to those who were willing to test the earlier versions of this work such as TheFatDemon and Knoober! Tester feedback is important and I hope people will try this. It's really a step up in performace.

I am having trouble with CWM, the version I found on app store is v5.5.3.7, after I installed and went to Recovery Setup - it says ZTE is not supported.

When I reboot into Recovery I'am getting 'Android System Recovery <3e>'

I wiped data/factory reset & wiped cash partition, there is no 'dalvik cache' option. I DID NOT wipe 'carrier/data/factory reset'.

When I tried to 'apply update from external storage' (ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip) - After 'verifying update package' I am getting - 'E:signature verification failed'

Any tip, help what am I doing wrong ?

many thanks

Upvote 0
I am having trouble with CWM, the version I found on app store is v5.5.3.7, after I installed and went to Recovery Setup - it says ZTE is not supported.

When I reboot into Recovery I'am getting 'Android System Recovery <3e>'

I wiped data/factory reset & wiped cash partition, there is no 'dalvik cache' option. I DID NOT wipe 'carrier/data/factory reset'.

When I tried to 'apply update from external storage' (ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip) - After 'verifying update package' I am getting - 'E:signature verification failed'

Any tip, help what am I doing wrong ?

many thanks
http://androidforums.com/threads/zte-force-4g-lte-all-things-root-guide.696511/ should have the right custom recovery and directions for installing it. If you still need help post back. sorry for the late reply :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones