finally did the 3600mAh battery upgradeTips

Last Updated: 2013-02-02 15:39:53
  1. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

finally did the 3600mAh battery upgrade, oh boy does it make the OV about double thick, my silicone case barley fits, I have a lanyard on it like a camera which I like allot. But it was to cheap to do it. was only $17 shipped for a 2 pack from a US seller, they come with new back covers that fit tight.

Gonna give it a good test later when I head out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2X-3600...711584?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item337796ebe0

Advertisement
  2. spayced

spayced Active Member

Let us know how long the battery lasts. Also test out the speaker, a thicker case in front of it may muffle the noise more.
  3. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

I think the case gives the sound some added depth, the tiny speaker ins't just blaring into empty space. battery life has been good so far, but only given it a few hr test so far.
  4. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Well my usual trip to the GF house, by time I head home its 1/2 to 3/4 drained, these past two visits it didn't even start to show discharge.
  5. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VWDekbIaJE

Phone was on the battery for nearly 24 hrs as the usb plug came lose, FoxFi WiFi tethering running and when I realized it was like this, the batter was only in the 30-25% range.

Glad to know I can goof up and it will last.
  6. Encerspay

Encerspay Well-Known Member

Well, I'm convinced. I'll look into getting a better battery, so I can overclock with confidence and maybe my phone won't run like garbage :p
  7. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Well-Known Member

I've had the extended battery for as long as i've had my second phone. I've always loved it.
  8. Phatninja55

My extended battery broke, they way it broke is still unknown to me. So I made it into a usb charger for my phone. xD Yes I used alot of electrical tape, I like wasting tape and didn't want to short out my circuit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fightingirish and hiwatt like this.
  9. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

You lost me, I don't see enough stuff in the tin, the battery would fill it???

Or is that osme type of 9volt top up charger???
  10. Leemann

Leemann Well-Known Member

I think it's some sort of usb charger for the battery.
  11. Phatninja55

Its a usb port soldered to the 3900ma battery. The nine volt connector is used to charge the 3900ma battery.
  12. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

so under the tape is the battery?

that must be one of them large altoids tins, making the stuff inside look way to small.... Im use to the altoids tins that are a bit larger then a matchbox.
  13. tli

tli Well-Known Member

It's really an auxiliary power source--charging requires voltage greater than the battery's nominal 3.7VDC...
  14. Phatninja55

I guess to be technical that is what it is for now, I'm working on making it into an actual charger.
  15. hiwatt

hiwatt Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time! Do you sell these? Great job!
    Phatninja55 likes this.
  16. Phatninja55

No I wouldn't sell it, I haven't perfected it yet.
  17. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

for the USB port end, which pins are the + and -

atempting something similar but slimmer with the stock battery.
  18. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Need some contact glue and clear silicone to build it, gonna embed it in silicone between the two credir cards, the battery, USB port and charge port just happen to be the same thickness.

[​IMG]
  19. tli

tli Well-Known Member

I just carry an extra charged battery:

[​IMG]

Seems a lot simpler... ;)
  20. Phatninja55

My battery broke.
  21. Phatninja55

The one in the picture before I made that.
  22. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Only if they made the phone able to do a battery change without shutting it off, would carrying a plain battery be useful.
  23. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

24. tli

tli Well-Known Member

Fortunately, my life is not so critically tethered to my phone such that I could not tolerate a reboot in order to change its battery... ;) Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer and practitioner of recycling, repurposing and reusing too, but I'm also a pragmatist. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the DIY aux power packs if you have the necessary spare parts, time and know-how, and they fit your particular needs. Cool, you did an excellent job there--very clean and clever use of the credit cards with the silicon!

BTW, rebooting the phone occasionally is not a bad practice. Rather quite often, it is recommended, and it does wonders in resurrecting a phone's operational peppiness... ;)