FINALLY! Remove Vlingo / Voice Command without root (ICS Only)Tips

1. alexp86

alexp86 Member

I upgraded to ICS yesterday via Kies (I have the XEU version) and was under the impression that I'd be able to finally disable Vlingo. However, when I select voice command in the applications, the "uninstall" option is still grayed out!

Has anyone managed to find a way around this without rooting / voiding warranty? I can't stand the bloody thing, I hate that it activates when you accidentally double click the middle button!

Advertisement
    :
  2. bluejava2

bluejava2 Member

+1

guess no one else out there thinks Vlingo is unworthy?
  3. sparxuk

sparxuk Member

i wish i could do this, i hate it when im at work and it activates "what would you like to do", gets some funny looks, and i swear i only press home once half the time!
  4. sparxuk

sparxuk Member

ok figured it out! you cant uninstal voice command in the settings menu, however there is a way, if you use go launcher you can unistall voice command by going into the app draw and long pressing on the voice command app, then hit the red cross once it pops up, you will then be taken to the unistal page, job done! no more vlingo!
    fcore, omnetician, codral and 6 others like this.
  5. alexp86

alexp86 Member

sparxuk - thanks - this seemed to work! Had to install go launcher, followed your steps and then uninstalled go launcher afterwards. The stupid thing now doesn't pop up when I double tap the middle button!
    ted123321 and bluejava2 like this.
  6. bluejava2

bluejava2 Member

Very nice sparxuk and alexp86. Did it as well and bye bye Vlingo! Thanks! :)
  7. vasush

vasush New Member

thank you so much! I was looking for a solution for this for eternity. God it was irritating!
  8. Marrr

Marrr Member

That's right. And it's so stupidly easy you'll be kicking yourself. I still am.

> Firstly, you'll need to install Go Launcher. Search on the Play Store for it.

> Then, when you've installed it, go into the app drawer and press and hold the 'Voice Command' icon (the blue one).

> It will shake with a red cross next to it, click to uninstall and follow the prompts.

> That's it. Gone. You can uninstall Go Launcher at this point if you want.

There doesn't seem to be a way to install it again, unless a factory reset brings it back (but that's no loss, i've been close to chucking my phone out of the window because of that thing keep popping up)

Also, this does only seems to work with ICS. My wife has a newer GT-I9100G S2 which is still on gingerbread (O2 UK) and this trick doesn't work.
    trevytrev, Gembeck, max0603 and 2 others like this.
  9. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

Which network are you on Marr O2UK also - I think it might vary by which mobile network build you are on and not the OS version? Certain apps seem to be removable or not depending on how the Network views the world?
  10. Marrr

Marrr Member

I'm on Three UK.

The uninstall option is greyed out in Applications on my phone.

It also can't be disabled using the application manager like much of the bloatware (most carrier crud can be disabled on my phone), it's strange Go Launcher can rid of it.
  11. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Well-Known Member

Quite right it worked! Stupid thing never worked very well anyway!
  12. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

It worked!

Unbranded UK SGS2 on official ICS, no root, totally stock, and it worked. Through app manager, Voice command's uninstall option was greyed out. However, Go Launcher let me uninstall it. No more launching of that PITA app with an accidental double-tap of the home button!
  13. ted123321

ted123321 New Member

Thanks! This worked for me!
  14. Roy Jones

Roy Jones Member

I have a number of ''Go Launcher'' on my play store. So which one would it be please? Many thanks !!
  15. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

16. rachaelnz

rachaelnz Member

Awesome.
    However, with new ICS update, double tap of home button wont open "What would you like to do" unless you re-accept the terms and conditions. I'm just not going to accept them for now... until then, thanks for this helpful post!

GoLauncher is fantastic btw
  17. max0603

max0603 Member

Well done bro!
  18. sweden721127

sweden721127 New Member

I love you man, I've tried everything and nothing worked beside your way. Thanks mate!!
  19. stemel

stemel New Member

Marrr
    I was going nuts with the app activating even on single homescreen button click on my SG2 running on 4.0.3 and disabling my bt earphones blasting the music through the speaker while it did so.

I registered just to thank you, you can have my sister pal

20. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member

This is good to know, I'm using Apex but can still do it. One question though, what's the difference between Voice Command and Voice Talk or are they the same? I have both in my app drawer.
  21. RobertCBoston

RobertCBoston New Member

Thank you so much for the go launcher tip to remove this nuisance!
  22. sonofwil

sonofwil New Member

I love you man!
  23. Ashen

Ashen New Member

You Sir, deserves a medal!

Can't find the words to express myself how many times I've been raging about this SHIT called Vlingo! And the problem that Samsung has ignored it.
    And by the look of things wheen I googled the problem, it's quite a few people with this problem!

Thanks yet again my good man!
  24. jfinlayson

jfinlayson New Member

I didn't see a Go Launcher, but found and installed Go Launcher EX.

Where is "the app draw". I don't see it. Nor could I find any voice command app.

Trying to fix the same problem running cyanogenmod9 on Touch pad.
  25. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

Go Launcher = Go Launcher Ex (its the same)

App draw = Applications Drawer. Its where the list of apps are shown. Tap on the app drawer button on the homescreen dock to get to the app drawer.

You can see the voice command app in the app drawer if there are no shortcuts on the homescreen. Or just double tap the home key to activate.