Finally Satisfied with Battery Life!!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like a lot of folks, I have been scouring the forums looking for tips to improve battery life. I've finally got mine to a point that it is fantastic! Here is a list of things I have done that have helped. Please forgive me if a lot of this info has been posted before in various threads. I just wanted to combine it all for those new to the forum.

The Solution:

1. Use the Airplane Mode tip after any reboot. (Put the phone into airplane mode, then turn airplane mode off.)

2. Download Switch Pro (or a similar app,) install the widget and include 'Data Connection' as one of your widget choices.

3. Turn off data connection unless you need it. (Keep in mind that you do not need a data connection for voice calls or text messages.)

4. Turn off wifi, gps, 4G, and bluetooth until you need them. Switch Pro is also great for this as it gives you tons of options for things to switch on/off.

5. Use wifi instead of data connection (3G) whenever possible. Wifi uses far less battery than the radio searching for a 3G connection. Go to wi-fi settings > advanced > and set wifi sleep policy to 'never' and de-select 'network notification.' You don't need the phone constantly scanning for open networks. When you need one, you will find it!

6. I put this one last because it sort of defeats the purpose of having a device with such a beautiful screen; nevertheless, it will save you lots of battery life. Turn the screen brightness down, if you can stomach it! Also, keep in mind that the amoled screen uses a lot of juice to produce whites. So, web browsing a lot will chew up battery quicker. Turn down brightness a touch to help offset this effect.

These tips WILL improve your battery life. I realize a lot of people may hate on me for this and say things like "why buy a phone if you can't use it?" I say, I do use all of the features on my phone on a daily basis, I just do it more efficiently. And no it isn't complicated or a hassle to toggle things on/off. It's the easiest thing in the world and takes literally 5 seconds!

Advertisement
  2. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

I just followed the steps. Didn't know advanced settings were available on the wifi page. lol. I'll see how much changed on the next charge.

3. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

I'll def try this since the calibration someone metioned in another thread did nothing for me, I did actually hit 100% but it went back to 98% 2 mins later.

4. xXSecretAgentXx

xXSecretAgentXx Well-Known Member

Instead of doing all that just download juice defender from the market and it will do all that for you!

sfjmcblade, only1penny and paul1956 like this.
  5. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

+1

only1penny likes this.
  6. lpsteve

lpsteve Member

I don't have an advanced tab under wifi settings.

7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

Anyone know exactly what toggling airplane mode off and on again at boot up does?

It's an interesting suggestion... just wondering why it would do any good.

-SF

8. Brian2071

Brian2071 Well-Known Member

When you're in the Wi-fi settings, touch the menu button at the bottom and another screen will pop up with the advanced settings button.

9. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

It reduces the "Time without signal" under your settings - about phone - battery use - "cell phone standby".

10. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I can't find any apps that allow me to togglemy data connection off and on

11. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

SwitchPro does that, Eazail70x7.

What a difference shutting 3g data off does. Usually when I would wake up, battery life would have gone down about 10-15% in 6-7 hrs. After doing this, the phone has been unplugged for almost 10 hrs, battery is still full!!

12. drbunda

drbunda Well-Known Member

I have been reading and reading all sorts of battery saving tips and have more than once seem people recommend Juice Defender. I've also seen Juice Defender icons on people's home pages on the "what does your home screen look like" thread. It wasn't until earlier today on another thread when they explained in more detail what it does that I decided to download it. DO IT PEOPLE!!! It's awesome. It's FREE and automatically turns things on and off as you need them. In other words, it shuts off 3G for you when you don't need it. It finds WiFi if it's available and uses that. It allows your phone to not use up juice when it is sitting in your pocket. It sets up automatically when you install it (it somehow searches phone usage or something). But you can also go do Advanced Settings and manually change any setting you want. It's amazingly customizable!!

JUICE DEFENDER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all those who recommended it :).

Frankie35 likes this.
  13. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I made my original post I just used SwitchPro as an example. juice Defender is also a great program to basically achieve the same goal. The key to great battery life is definitely toggling things on/off. More particularly, toggling the data connection on/off!

It's so easy, so quick, and works SO WELL!!!!

only1penny likes this.
  14. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

If you want another way to manually toggle connections without taking up home screen space try quick settings (free from the market).

15. aeiou

aeiou Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love these phones. Just turn off the whole phone and only use it when you need to and you will have great battery life. That is my solution. smh...

Turnkeys and YDroid like this.
  16. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

I'm really not seeing a battery life issue at all. I did the draining the battery down to death trick and I'm very please with battery life. I will try that Juice Defender anyway, though!

17. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

Turning off data is huge for my battery! Switch pro is really nice for manually turning data off (I only need it for browsing).

[​IMG]

18. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Well-Known Member

I'm still testing this, but I'm almost sure that unchecking the box for "power saving mode" under display settings will drastically reduce the amount of battery your screen uses. Whatever algorithm Samsung has implemented for this function is probably bugged--I know changing my setting has lowered the battery use by the screen by about 20% or so. I'd love to hear if other people have similar results (or different ones)

19. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

I don't know, i haven't turned power saving off since the 31st so I can't compare lol.

20. TheAlien

TheAlien Well-Known Member

I don't want to be mean, but what is the purpose in that post? It contributes nothing.

21. SBT

SBT Active Member

might be a dumb question but how do you just turn data off/on without downloading an app?

i am assuming its under wireless and networks? however my phone isn't with me... its in the other room charging is why i ask, so sorry if its redundant.

22. Red_Cheeks

Red_Cheeks Well-Known Member

lol

23. drbunda

drbunda Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to manually turn off 3G, but you can turn off WiFi and 4G by pulling down the top menu that scrolls down (sorry if I'm not using proper terminology, new to Android here). I ended up just downloading Juice Defender since it's free, doesn't take up much room, and does it automatically for me. :D Try it out!

24. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

Great suggestions in this thread!

As such I am moving this into Tips and Tricks

25. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

Perhaps you have a point friend, my bad, BRO.