Finally taking the Android plunge...General

Last Updated:

1. Crimson Fog

Crimson Fog Active Member This Topic's Starter

LONG time Blackberry user here and probably always will be professionally. However, with all its Features, it was hard not to get the MyTouch 4G.

The phone is so sleek and sturdy, I hope my local Zagg kiosk has the Invisible Shields for it.

Does any know what the 4G connectivity icon looks like? What the UMA connectivity looks like? Is there even a 3G icon?

Im just wondering what to expect with my first day at the office with this new phone. We have lots of spotty areas here that my trusty 9700 always connects to, but only with UMA. I am not used to what the Android connectivity icons look like, so I just wanted to know if anyone could be of some assistance. I'd do a Google search, but our works' Proxy server isn't able to reach a lot of websites due to the companies policies.

I heavily researched 3 phones before my purchase as the Blackberry 9800 has yet to hit T-Mobile and I was yearning for something new to play with.

I researched the MT4G, HD7 and G2. I really wanted the HD7 because I am an avid Xbox gamer and drooled at the XBL integration, but it didn't have HSPA+ and its hardware is 1.5 years old. The G2's keyboard was horrible, so I guess the MT4G won by default.

I'm hoping it sticks around for a while... Until the next best thing at least.

Anywhoo, some insight on the connectivity icons would be great. Thanks in advance Androider's!

Advertisement
  2. buckeyedroid

buckeyedroid Well-Known Member

it shows an H
    you will love this phone, GREATEST PHONE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MYTOUCH 4G FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

3. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member

yep youll see a H for hspa (4g) , actually i think it will only always show either a H or the E for edge network.. you can tell if its in 3g or H by going into settings and then about phone.. hit network and it shows mobile network type.. that will show if your actually in hspa or UMTA .. ive seen the H show up but actually be in UMTA (3g).

4. Crimson Fog

So when I have Wifi on, how do I know if UMA is on or not? I know with my 9700, it will still show Wifi on, but no UMA respectively depending on signal strength. Sorry for all the questions. Wasnt a fan of the stock keyboard or sms inbox gui, but quickly switched to Handcent and A Better Keyboard and now the feel is GREAT!

Thanks again for the insights!

5. SUPERGALAXYS

i dont use wifi too much so not 100% on what settings you can have setup to let you know, i would guess as long as the wifi symbol is up top then your still connected through wifi.. but i guess follow the same procedure as above.. settings>about phone> network>mobile network type

6. Crimson Fog

Gotcha, thanks! So far so good with this phone though! Now I want to see if I can Facetime, or whatever the Android version is, to see if I can conferences with other MT4G's, iPhones, EVO's etc... Anyone know?

7. brinky

brinky Well-Known Member

It isn't exactly like UMA. The call won't switch from wifi to cellular as you move away from the wifi network. But when you are using wifi for calls there is another icon that appears in the status bar, along with a message saying you are still using your plan minutes (or something like that)

8. Crimson Fog

Ah, so its more useful for outgoing calls? I notice there is a Wifi Calling icon. Or maybe I have to have it on (set it manually)? It's not just assumed like Blackberry?

9. brinky

brinky Well-Known Member

You do have to change the preference to prefer wifi in the app as I think the default is prefer celluar.

But as long as you don't move away from your wifi it works great or inbound or outbound calling.

10. mikayla

mikayla Active Member

Just ordered a mytouch 4g white from
    target mobile

for 79.99+over night shipping

I went and played with an HD7 and almost got it but found out it didnt have wifi calling
    so i am super excited.

I also purchased a samsung focus.
    I am testing the at & t/tmobile networks to see who i want to be stuck with for the next two years.

Cant wait to video chat but i have no one to chat with lol

11. Crimson Fog

While we are on the subject, what is the best app for Video Chat?

12. SUPERGALAXYS

I've tried yahoo messenger its not to bad.

13. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

You and i are in the same boat... LOL.. Cool stuff to do however cant do it. O well some one will get a phone that can do that someday and catch up to us. :p

14. SUPERGALAXYS

you can still video chat through yahoo messenger ( need the newest version of yahoo messenger ) with anybody with a web cam on there desktop or laptop..assuming they have a halfway descent internet connection. i tried to video chat with someone using a blackberry running on edge they were tethering with there laptop and the quality was poor at best..lol! but then when they connected to wifi it was pretty good..