• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finally the 3pin Car dock. (modification needed)

Hi all,

I've been looking on the Droid Life comments section and there seems to be a lot of reports that the dock doesn't actually charge the phone. Can those of you with the modified mount verify this?

It seems that the icon shows up but if you go into settings it shows that it's actually not charging. There is also talk of it charging at USB rates instead of AC rates which apparently can't keep up with 4g use.

I'd love to get it but at $70 if I can't use it as a gps (that stays charged) it's kind of useless to me.

The dock does in fact charge the phone in AC mode (better than USB). I have tested it while streaming MLB At Bat, recording 720p video (as a dash cam), and using navigation. An hour long trip with all that running and my battery was 3% higher than when I started. I would guess that if I was not using the camera my gains would have been better. This is with a Sprint Galaxy Nexus (had to trim to make the volume buttons work).

EDIT: This was all using 3g speeds, I cannot comment on LTE as it is not available in my area.

Upvote 0
The dock does in fact charge the phone in AC mode (better than USB). I have tested it while streaming MLB At Bat, recording 720p video (as a dash cam), and using navigation. An hour long trip with all that running and my battery was 3% higher than when I started. I would guess that if I was not using the camera my gains would have been better. This is with a Sprint Galaxy Nexus (had to trim to make the volume buttons work).

EDIT: This was all using 3g speeds, I cannot comment on LTE as it is not available in my area.

two questions.

1. Are you 100% stock?
2. Are you using the stock battery or extended?

I worked on mine today. I plug it up and it has the lightning bolt and says its charging on the lockscreen yet when i go to battery stats it doesn't say it's charging. It's almost like the contact pins aren't making good contact.

Would you mind posting a pic of your unit where you modified it? Thanks

Upvote 0
My mobile dock mount came in today. Google's Two-Day shipping was right one, since I ordered Weds. morning.

Once I got it open, I pulled out the volume rocker and saw that it was made of fairly dense rubber. I popped my phone in and noticed that it was only being obstructed on the volume-down end of the slot. Instead of over-complicating with my CNC, I pulled out one of my rounded needle files. It only took about 5-10 good slides of the file to hone down that end of the slot and the job was done.

Gave it a try after the mod and I liked it so much I recorded a mobile video and uploaded it to YouTube. The video is really just showing off how steady the mount is:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Mobile Mount Test - YouTube

would you mind posting a pic of your modification? Also you said you popped the volume piece out? Thanks

Upvote 0
two questions.

1. Are you 100% stock?
2. Are you using the stock battery or extended?

I worked on mine today. I plug it up and it has the lightning bolt and says its charging on the lockscreen yet when i go to battery stats it doesn't say it's charging. It's almost like the contact pins aren't making good contact.

Would you mind posting a pic of your unit where you modified it? Thanks

I am rooted using the stock ROM and Franco's Milestone4 Kernal. I am also using the stock battery.
2012-06-18 11.43.03.jpg
You can see where I cut away. I ended up popping the volume rocker button out as it is soft and I didn't want to cut or poke a hole in it. Removing this also gives you a better view when cutting. It just pops out and in, I used a blunt edged butter knife to remove it you can use just about anything.

I didn't have any problems with the pogo pins lining up even before cutting. The only issue I had was volume down not working (solved by trimming).

Upvote 0
ok. Thanks a bunch for the pic. I need to do some more cutting on mine. All i did was make the whole longer but it looks like i need to trim some away on the sides as well.

Yeah after thinking about it and reading about popping the volume button out i did that. So i'll get a razor blade and do some more scraping. I really need this to work out lol. I already have two friends here wanting to know when i get it working because they kind of want one as well.

Upvote 0
well i done some more trimming on mine. The buttons feel and work great now but it still seems as though the contact pins aren't making good contact. I really hate to go through that massive thread over at XDA but i guess i'll have to in order to see if someone has had the same issue.

The way I have mine set up in the car, the 3 pins are on the bottom. When I slide my phone in I place the bottom in first then press the top down and in ensuring a solid connection. How is yours set up?

Upvote 0
This might sound like it came from a stupid flow chart but did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the car home apk's?

no i didn't try that. I'll try it but really the carhome.apk shouldn't really matter I wouldn't think. Because it seems like it would still at least charge properly. I'll try it though you never know.

Upvote 0
I think the charging issue is a lot bigger than anyone really thinks. I rarely get it to charge in AC. The icon on the battery shows that it's charging, but when I go to the battery settings it says "Not Charging." I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this yet?

Also, for the people who have the desktop dock that did the sandpaper mod, are you guys having the same issue? (Charge icon on battery, but not really charging.) If this works for them, would it work on the Car Dock as well?

Upvote 0
I too have the GSM dock with the VZW Galaxy Nexus. It was easy to get the volume rocker cavity carved out so that the volume works but I too cannot get the pins to line up. It's as if the phone is just a hair away from being in the right place. Most of the time it won't connect to charge or force the audio through the pins. Or sometimes if I get the phone in almost right it will charge but the audio will cut in and out in a timed pattern. If I push the phone just a little bit in the area of the pins it will connect and charge and the audio will work but as soon as I relieve the pressure it becomes unconnected. This happens with both the stock battery/cover as well as the extended battery/cover. It's a $70 bummer, for sure.

Upvote 0
I too have the GSM dock with the VZW Galaxy Nexus. It was easy to get the volume rocker cavity carved out so that the volume works but I too cannot get the pins to line up. It's as if the phone is just a hair away from being in the right place. Most of the time it won't connect to charge or force the audio through the pins. Or sometimes if I get the phone in almost right it will charge but the audio will cut in and out in a timed pattern. If I push the phone just a little bit in the area of the pins it will connect and charge and the audio will work but as soon as I relieve the pressure it becomes unconnected. This happens with both the stock battery/cover as well as the extended battery/cover. It's a $70 bummer, for sure.

Has anyone figured out what needs to be adjusted to fix this yet? I just got mine on Monday and have been having the exact same issue. There has got to be an adjustment that can be made to make this thing work to it's full potential...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones