Finally!! Touchpal keyboard works on the EVOTips

Last Updated:

1. ffyter

ffyter Member This Topic's Starter

I was a former WM user and my touch keyboard of choice was TouchPal. It has better prediction than the htc keyboard, is bigger, and has extra swiping shortcuts to make typing a breeze. Watch a video on youtube to see all of the shortcuts. You easily switch from qwerty, compact qwerty (my favorite), and numeric pad layout by swiping from left to right. Do a search in the market for touchpal and it will bring up the chinese version. Download it, go into settings > keyboard and languages and select (select checkbox) chinese touchpal. The next time you have a box to type in long hold and select change input method and select chinese touchpal. When you open the keyboard you have to hit the little sprocket wheel in the bottom left corner to change the language to english. Enjoy!!

Advertisement
    burgertime and imukdude like this.
  2. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

Description says it can access your contact data. Is that so it can include your contacts in typing predictions?

3. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

is it multitouch?

4. ffyter

Unfortunately it is not multi touch but it is super fast. I think it keeps up better than the htc keyboard. You can even mistype a word and it still gets it right.

5. ffyter

I just tried it out and it included my name (Nicklaus) in the predictions. It does not import all of your contact names unfortunately.

6. wubbie075

I was actually asking because I am concerned that it is accessing my contact data and trying to figure out a legitimate reason it would have to do so.

I don't want this company spamming my friends.

Wadester likes this.
  7. boowalley

boowalley New Member

The one and only thing that I missed about WM was TouchPal. Now that I found a version of it on the Android OS, I'm calling AT&T to cancel my contract. As a iphone 3GS owner I was always frustrated by the mis-typed words. I used to always email Cootek and ask them were they coming to the iphone platform? And then I found out that TouchPal had been removed from the Android Market. I don't know what kind of business they are running over there but they have the fastest keyboard bar none. When I got TouchPal working on the EVo 4G my mind was made up and I'm not going to get the iphone 4. The keyboard and the screen are too small all of a sudden. The Evo feels just right and TouchPal is the icing on the cake. Thanks for the info,ffyter.

8. wubbie075

ok WTF??

Based upon multiple positive reviews in the thread I decide not to be paranoid and download this keyboard. When I try to activate it, I get a warning that the keyboard is gonna collect my passwords and credit card number???

[​IMG]

9. boowalley

boowalley New Member

They can have my passwords and credit card number, maybe they'll pay my bills:) I get that same message whenever I download anything in the Android OS. I'm new to Android so from what I can tell, it's a standard warning.I don't think we need to shut the windows and lock the doors,YET.

10. wubbie075

I'm not talking about giving my cc # to pay for an app. It says the keyboard itself is going to be storing this info.

EDIT: OK I got the same warning when I tried to activate the shapewriter keyboard. I'm probably freaking out over nothing...

11. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

12. mted558

mted558 Well-Known Member

Is this compatible with Evo? When I do search in the market the only app for TouchPal comes up in Japanese.

13. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

yes, as the OP said, you set the language from Japanese to English.

14. mted558

mted558 Well-Known Member

Sorry, don't know how i missed the OP :eek::eek: Thanks!!!

15. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Well-Known Member

I just installed touchpal, and it shows up on my Evo as only 3/4 of the screen width, in either orientation. WTF?

16. tp2386

tp2386 Well-Known Member

would it be easy for them to include multi-touch in an update?

17. xvipx

xvipx Member

this keyboard is nice but it doesnt learn new words which stinks unless im missing something. I have it set to learn new words.

18. RaiseUp151z

RaiseUp151z Well-Known Member

Am I missing something?.... I did not see voice activated keyboard something that the stock has & comes really handy when texting (very accurate)

Swype also did not have it ....unless i just completely missed it but I had to go back to stock.

19. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with this keyboard at all. I type really quick, and the HTC keyboard keeps up with me just fine. Even in portrait mode I can type very quickly.

20. xvipx

xvipx Member

this keyboard is nice but with one big problem. You can't "speak to text" with it which is a feature I need while driving. Is there any way to add this to this keyboard?

21. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

That's because it's a keyboard driver, it's essentially hooked in to the OS in a way that allows it to take input (on screen keyboard) and present it to the OS as input, same way as the default on screen keyboard or a hardware keyboard would do. That an App can do this is great, but the downside is that an App could, if it wanted to, also record your input, store it, send it over the air, and do anything else it wants with what you type as well as sending it on to the OS (it could set up a Man In The Middle-style attack, where the middle is between your keyboard and the OS, for instance).

You get the same warning no matter what input device you activate, that warning is built in to Android.

What permissions does this app request when you install it? If it asked for network access as well, or anything else it doesn't need to do it's job (and the same applies for ANY app, really) I'd be very cautious about using it. I've not tried this specific app myself, the stock keyboard works fine for me, so I don't know what it does request on install, or have any opinion on whether or not this specific app is ok to trust.

22. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

Awesome I like skype but I got my txt messaging chops on the numeric keypad layout. I can type much faster on that and it feels more natural. Plus you gotta love the auto correct, one thing that can get annoying about skype it can't be as intuitive on what you're trying to type sometimes.

23. txprincesskp

txprincesskp New Member

SWEET!!! I to am coming from WM and am so excited over the fact that I can install Touchpal. whewhooo!!! Now if only I could find out how to edit the reoccurence in the calendar like I could with WM I would be completely thrilled with the EVO so if any of you know how please share! Thanks again......

24. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member

I like it so far, but I noticed that some things are still in Chinese even though I selected English.