1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

find host nameSupport

1. carpman

carpman Member

Hello, i wish to assign a static IP to phone using my router, but i need the host name of phone to be able to do this, trouble is can't find out what the host name for phone is?

any ideas?

cheers

Advertisement
    :
  2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Carpman - this is how to get a static IP address for your phone:

If you find this info helpful, click thanks on El Presidente's original (4 or 5 down in the following thread) http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-support-troubleshooting/345055-desire-hd-wifi-problem.html
  3. carpman

carpman Member

Thanks for reply.

I know how to setup a static via the phone, but this is of no use if you use different wireless connections which i do.

I have also used Wifi-Static app to assign a static IP for my home network, but this can be unreliable.

I have the ability to assign static IP to network device via mac address and hostname, i do this for my laptops fine.

The questions still remains, how i find out what my phones host name is?

cheers
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Can you do it by MAC Address? All HTC Android devices have a MAC address beginning 90:21:55 (as far as I'm aware).

Which router do you have?
  5. carpman

carpman Member

6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I've had a look at how my router is configured and my phones name on the router is the same as the it's Bluetooth name. I can't remember whether or not it was like that by default, or whether I've changed it so I can easily recognise from the routers admin panel.

Via the router, can you see connected devices? Look for that MAC and see what the router is calling it.
  7. Fonzig

Fonzig Well-Known Member

If your currently using DHCP, most routers will show the IP & hostname in a DHCP Client list. Mine usually comes up as ANDROID_454687354687.
    What router are you using?
  8. carpman

carpman Member

Thanks for replies.

I can find nowhere in smoothwall where it will show me the host name of desire?

In the dhcp section it does not, if i give the phone a static IP it does not show it static dns page.

This is odd as the commercial versio of smoothwall that is used in office will show dhcp clients details, but free version will not!

I have a rooted phone so is there any file on the phone from which i can get the host name?

cheers
  9. carpman

carpman Member

10. carpman

carpman Member

11. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

As Fonzig said, the host name will start ANDROID_...

My router gave me a list of Hosts, IP's and MAC's and lists ANDROID_...

What I can't find is this name written on the phone anywhere
  12. GMARKppt

GMARKppt New Member

On my HTC desire, the 15 digits in the hostname following "Android_" equates to the unique IMEI of the phone's cellular radio. The global GSM standard requires that this number is printed on the device but can also be found as follows:

1. In the phone app, press *#06# and the IMEI should appear in a popup window (not sure if this works for CDMA)
    2. In Android, go to Settings / About Phone / Phone Identity / IMEI

What I'm also unsure of is how non-cellular Android devices generate their hostname as my tablet is using a hexadecimal sequence that doesn't look like the MAC address or the device Serial Number.