• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Find me a new Phone! (Please?)

Hi,

I just switched to T-Mobile and my current phone, the G3 international unlocked version, doesn't support T-Mo's features such as VoLTE, WiFi calling, or LTE band 12. I honestly don't have the time to spend researching phones that fit my criteria, so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could please help me find a new phone that fits these specs:

- All the services mentioned above (VoLTE, WiFi calling, LTE band 12)
- Support for MicroSD card OR has at least 64GB built in
- Closest to stock Android (gets latest updates), or can be rooted and flashed with a custom rom without losing the T-Mo features above
- Preferably under $300, but if nothing is, I'll consider some higher prices

Hit me with your best shot!

Thanks!

Last edited:
the new Nexus phones will do all of that
Neither the 5X nor the 6P have support for MicroSD. I need at least 64GB of storage, and the 5X maxes out at 32GB so that won't work for me. And the 6P 64GB version is much more expensive than what I was looking to spend. I was hoping someone could find something that meets those requirements in the OP and is under $300.

Upvote 0
Frankly if you need T-mobile specific features, you're going to have to get a specific version phone from that carrier. So basically it's down to whatever you can find at a T-mobile store I think.

International being rather generic, well we certainly don't use T-mobile/Deutsche Telekom in China, so don't bother looking here. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frankly if you need T-mobile specific features, you're going to have to get a specific version phone from that carrier. So basically it's down to whatever you can find at a T-mobile store I think.

International being rather generic, well we certainly don't use T-mobile/Deutsche Telekom in China, so don't bother looking here. LOL

Yeah, I just hate how they have nothing even close to stock. And the nexus 6 they have, from what I've heard, doesn't even get the latest updates as fast as it should because it's T-Mobile branded, although it may be my best option so far.

Upvote 0
OP2 doesn't have band 12 (although the S5 doesn't either).
If Band 12 is an important consideration, you can look at a Metro or T-Mo Galaxy Avant which is sort of a stripped-down S5. Doesn't have the nice AMOLED display but it does have band 12. I used one briefly but it developed a problem so I switched to the S5.
Bear in mind that not all areas will have band 12 deployed so it may or may not be that big an advantage to have it. I believe it is available here in NYC but I'm fine without it.

Upvote 0
If Band 12 is an important consideration, you can look at a Metro or T-Mo Galaxy Avant which is sort of a stripped-down S5. Doesn't have the nice AMOLED display but it does have band 12. I used one briefly but it developed a problem so I switched to the S5.
Bear in mind that not all areas will have band 12 deployed so it may or may not be that big an advantage to have it. I believe it is available here in NYC but I'm fine without it.
You're right about band 12. I guess I just wanted it originally for future proofing, or if I go to an area in the U.S. that only has Band 12. But where I live, I know I don't get it, so I'm more concerned about having WiFi calling since that's my best bet at having reception.

Upvote 0
I think I may just have to suck it up and get a T-Mobile phone and find some way to make it look stock through a theme or something. Considering the S7 is rumored to be released Feb 21, I might be able to get a good deal once the price of the S6 drops. Thanks for the input though!

Upvote 0
Hm ok must have been looking at the wrong version then. I stand corrected. Obviously anyone considering this phone (as well as other unlocked phones available in multiple versions) needs to be absolutely certain they are getting the right one for their region.
There's still the non-removable battery in the OP as well as their "stellar" customer support. ;)
Personally at least for now, I value the WiFi calling over band 12 hence my sticking with the S5. I haven't had any serious coverage issues and there is often WiFi available in places where I don't get service.

Upvote 0
If you're looking to stay within the LG family, I'd probably recommend the V10 if you don't mind the bigger screen. It has good internal memory, microSD card compatibility up to 200gb, and a removable battery.

If that is outside your price range, you might also wanna consider the Moto X Pure Edition (aka Moto X Style), which has similar specs and has a smaller screen (albeit non-removable battery). The Moto X also doesn't come with as much bloatware. I'm an LG fanatic though, so you can say that I'm a bit biased.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones