Find - Motorola PC Charging Drivers

Last Updated:

1. Phoenixdroid

Phoenixdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

hehe, notice how the list of OS's on that page doesn't say Windows7?

W7 detects the droid and updates the driver automatically..

Love my Droid & W7 (shameful microsoft plug, I thought I'd never do it :D)

3. rodriguez24

rodriguez24 New Member

I simply plugged it into my xp system at work and it charges it. However, it does so very slowly. If I install these will it charge any faster? Or is that simply just a Droid thing.

4. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

All Li-ion batteries take a long time to charge. You can read up on Li-ion charging and such here Charging lithium-ion batteries or just wiki 'Lithium-ion Batteries'

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

AFAIK, these drivers aren't necessary for charging, or mass storage mode.

However, if you want PDAnet to recognize your Droid, you must have them installed (in my experience).

6. Wingforce

Wingforce New Member

7. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

I haven't had to load the drivers yet on XP SP2 or Vista. Not sure about any other OS.

8. Wingforce

Wingforce New Member

First off, Go Bears and Cubs. I tried just plugging into my PC w/Vista and it basically would have taken about 3 months to charge my phone. Could be hardware related I suppose, not sure.

9. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Oh yes, the Cubs Avatar will come out in a few months... Please tell me your USB ports are 2.0 and not 1.1? (Even though it'd be awfully tough getting Vista on a computer that was old enough to have 1.1) Gotta ask

10. the drizzle

the drizzle Member

I do not think these are the correct drivers. They do not recognise the droid as a motorola phone on my computer. I believe we need Android usb drivers.

11. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Is it a 64? If so, I know that some have reported issues. I have the 32 bit Vista and have no problems charging the phone or linking in order to download files.

12. the drizzle

the drizzle Member

I have the issue on two different systems an xp 32 bit laptop and and windows 7 64 bit desktop. I think everyone who says their phone is charging their computer is mistaken. The phones show they they are charging, but they are getting very little power. The way that the usb spec is written is that the port will only provide 100ma unless the device asks for more. Then the port will provide up to 500ma (note this is still less than a wall charger). Without the correct drivers you will only get the 100mw. This does not affect mounting the sd card as a drive.

To clarify, my phone will charge extemely slowly when connected to the computer. For example it charged from 0-70% while on the computer fo 7 hours yesterday. If anyone is getting real charging in a normal amount of time I would appreciate it if they would post in here.

13. RoyMustang

RoyMustang Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, you will always get slower charge times through a computer than you would an outlet. Same for car chargers. Has something to do with the current first running through your computer and then trickling down to your phone. Not to mention that it was designed for data transfer. Not sure if usb 3.0 will handle it any better.

14. RoyMustang

RoyMustang Well-Known Member

P.S. As a cubs fan I think it will be great taking this phone to games. Now, if they're losing ill be able to post my frustrations on the cubs site while I'm at the game! Or just do what I normally do and drink my sorrows into oblivion.

15. the drizzle

the drizzle Member

As I stated in my previous post the current even when it is working properly is slighly less than will a wall charger. However it is only charging at the minimum of the usb spec because there are no drivers. Correct drivers should allow is to charge at 500 mA. I am very familiar with this issue because I had the same issue with my blackberries untill I installed the correct drivers.

16. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

So which drivers to use with vista and droid?

TIA

17. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Must be a Windows thing. I plug into my MacBook every night, full charge in the morning. I've not had to plug my Droid into my pc yet, so not sure.

18. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

I have no problem charging on my PC, an XP rig w/o any drivers update. It does not charge as fast as my wall charger, but it can fully charge in a few hours (less than 4) from less than 20%; a full charge from the wall charger takes less than 2 hours.

19. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

My Windows 7 (64-bit RC) box needed the drivers before I could take screens using the SDK. Everything else worked, though maybe it would charge faster with the drivers installed. At home or work I plug it into a powered USB hub (a stand-alone at home, built in the Dell monitor at work) so that may not have an effect on charge times...