1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Find/wipe your android phone - so many to choose from.....

1. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering before I choose one of these apps which one has the best features.

Can someone tell me which features are available between the different apps and which features are well worth having.

I've been looking into these type of apps for a few weeks and I'm thinking of using 'Android Device Manager' which will most probably be alright for me, but then I've also been reading about the two below, which seem to have more features:

Lost Droid Finder

Android Lost

There are also a lot of others which are very similar.

Any help will be appreciated to make my mind up.

Advertisement
  2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Geek Moderator

Hi Kraftwerk,

I've moved your thread to the Android Applications forum, where it should get more exposure and responses.

For me, Android Device Manager does what I need. In the past, though, I've used Avast Mobile Security (which does a lot more than just finding/locking/wiping a lost phone), and Cerberus (which does only lost phone operations, but I think does them quite well).
    funkylogik likes this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I agree with Codespice and want to add that i love your username :)
  4. codesplice

I remembered that AndroidPolice did a very thorough Mobile Security App Showdown - but that was in November, 2011. A lot has changed since then, so I went searching for a more recent comparison.

Here's one I found from August 2013. (Hint: Cerberus wins)

Cerberus has a lot of advanced options that can make it harder for a thief to bypass, but I still come back to Android Device Manager. It's free, it's included and integrated with Android (so no additional running service to get in the way), and it's tied to my Google account (so not additional credentials to keep up with). Some of the others can easily best it in features, but I don't think any of them can touch it for simplicity and ease of use. There's even a handy mobile client in case you want to keep tabs on your phone from your tablet (or the other way around).
    funkylogik likes this.
  5. Kraftwerk

Thanks for the replies.
    I am going to go with 'Android Device Manager'.

@Funkylogic: I just love Kraftwerk - my favourite electronic group (saw them live in Manchester about five years ago).
  6. Kraftwerk

Looking at:
    Settings>Security>Device administrators

There is:

Motorola device policy
    and
    Android Device Manager (which is already ticked)

Does this mean I don't have to anything and I already have ADM setup?

What is the 'Motorola Device Policy'?
    It seems it does the same thing as ADM?

Do I leave 'Motorola Device Policy' unticked?

Thanks
  7. codesplice

Yep, that's all it takes to configure Android Device Manager - pretty easy, eh? You can check that it's working (and lock/wipe/locate your phone if it gets lost) from the web management interface: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Motorola Device Policy sounds like it does essentially the same thing: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/95507/action/auth. I haven't used it, but feel free to try it out and see which you prefer. You can select to use either (or both) of them without any problems. :)
    Kraftwerk likes this.
  8. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 Well-Known Member

I was skiing this past weekend and we found an iphone 5 on the slopes. We turned the phone on and a message appeared on the screen saying this phone is lost and if found please call number XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Which we did and the person got their phone back.

Is there an app similar to this for the Android? I know not everyone would return the phone but just in case it would be nice to have a message appear on it and track the phone too.

Thanks
  9. codesplice

Hi wallstreet123456,

I've merged your thread into another recent one which discusses a few different options for "getting your lost/stolen Android device back" apps. As you can see, there are many options available (and many, many more that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet).

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions or I can do anything else to help :)