• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Find your friends with this app, even if your friends don't have it!

I will start by saying that in the situations that you have mentioned no navigation application will work well if at all.

Friends-Location will work in all scenarios that have data connection and location support (location support does not mean GPS on).

When the GPS is turned off or not available the application (depends on the device) will try using the wifi id or cell info to determine its location ( one of them must exist when data connection is available).

No smartphone is not an issue (!) as Friends-Locator support working with non-smartphones!

Friends-Locator is perfect for many realistic situations: Finding your friends in the park, finding colleagues in a conference or to checking where your kids are.

Give it a try and then tell us all what do you think!

Shai K

So tell me this, how accurate is wireless positioning compared to using a GPS? Good luck, usually the positioning system for just wireless signals is like 1300-3000 meters. I could be in the park, I could be in the deli down the street.

Upvote 0
Hi Saltine, The accuracy of wireless position can be even worst ;)
however it can also be better providing an accuracy of about 100-200 meters radius.

Friends-Locator prefers using a GPS, however if it is not available then it asks the device's OS to provide the best location possible. the behavior of Friends-Locator in this aspect is not different than most other navigation apps - it will choose the best location source possible.

Upvote 0
So with this app I can track down friends right? Seems like a useful app for when we want to meet up with friends and then hanging out. Heck I think of many useful thing to do with a app like that.

Can I track friend even though they don't have smart phones? My friend has a Samsung Tocco lite and a Ipod touch 4th generation.

Just incase, how do I pay for the pay version? Do I need debit card or does it deduct from my Pay as you go sim card?

I live in Europe, Gibraltar hope this app works. When I get home I try it.

Upvote 0
Supermichael, this app can find your friends even if they don't have or do not have smartphones.
HOWEVER your friends must be able to receive SMS and their phone must support location services.

You can download the premium version from the android market, the payment is done via the payment method supported by the market.

If you have any questions please post them here or send us email to support@SponTalk.com

Upvote 0
This looks like a useful app, especially when out drinking. I can think of so many occasions when trying to find drunk friends where this would have been so useful.

One suggestion would be to add the option to send your location to your friend.

Good luck getting your drunk friends to open the text and click the link when they are stonewalled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones