Find your phone without having any tracking software installed!Tips

1. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

Lost your phone and do not have any tracking software installed on it (ie Lookout, Seekdroid, etc)?

1. Install Plan B to the phone that you are trying to find from the Android Market website: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb.
    2. Plan B will start automatically and send your phone

Advertisement
    :
    javamann, Wally World, foo and 4 others like this.
  2. fonefreak

fonefreak Well-Known Member

I was thinking about painting the back of my DX a bright blaze orange. Too bad orange really doesn't go with any of my outfits, though.
  3. jlambeth1

jlambeth1 Member

Thank you very much for this post. My stepdaughter lost her phone three days ago and I'm going to use this to try to find it before she has to buy a replacement.
  4. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

good luck!
  5. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Hey please let us know how it turns out.
  6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Amazing info!
  7. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

will this work for those of us who have disabled text messaging and use google voice instead?
  8. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

it should since it can use both email and SMS to notify you where it is located.
  9. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Well, did it work?
    ChiefHopper likes this.
  10. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

how do you download an app to a phone you've misplaced? do you log onto google and somehow send it?
  11. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Just click on the link in the first post and then click on the Install button. If you aren't already logged in with your gmail account that is linked to your phone, it will prompt you to log in, and then it will remotely download and install the app on your phone. I tried it earlier with my DX sitting next to me, and it downloaded, installed, started and sent an e-mail about the location. This is a pretty sweet app!
  12. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Awesome!
  13. TwinCams

TwinCams Active Member

I'm curious on how this turned out as well. Were you able to recover the phone?
  14. seaamy

seaamy New Member

HI, I just tested it..downloaded great and sent me the location email in less than 2 mins! Fantastic! Exept though I wish you locate via sms by using a word that would not alarm the theif that has taken it. They may see the word locate pop up and then just toss the phone in the ocean or somewhere
  15. zainal77

zainal77 New Member

i'm trying to use this but i am unable to access it due to not knowing what gmail account is linked to my phone to use it. i thought i had everything running through my hotmail account but that doesn't work either. Apparently a new android phone is assigned a gmail account, how do you find it?
  16. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

They are not "assigned" a gmail account. You specify one or create one. If you don't remember your account, then there isn't much we can do.
  17. anirudhgoyal

anirudhgoyal New Member

If I lost my phone with my sim card in it and some one changed the sim card, would it still be possible to locate my phone using this app?

What if someone does not insert any sim card and simply overwrites the OS or restores factory settings on the phone leading to loss of my email credentials on the phone?

Please help me understand
  18. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Yes probably,if that sim card has data enabled
    If he even removes your gmail sync account then nothing can be done .this app works on the assumption that the thief doesn't know about the gmail sync account .
    A factory reset ,rom flash or removing the sync will make this app useless
    Also you need to accept market's TOS from phone first .
  19. anirudhgoyal

anirudhgoyal New Member

Hi karandpr, Thanks for responding.

I clicked on Install and the app detected my gmail as it was logged in (that's a no brainer). The interesting thing is that it also knew the model of my phone that got stolen. Now I have A question.

1. Does this mean that this information was stored somewhere when my phone was with me?

OR

2. My email account is still there on the phone and I still have hope that the crook connects to a network and gets caught?

Next, is there a way that I can know which sim card is currently installed once I know the phone location?

Please help
  20. aznjewelsx

aznjewelsx New Member

I downloaded the plan b onto my computer. They sent me the address, but then the phone model was not correct. And how can I refresh the location in case the phone moved.
  21. memodude

memodude New Member

I went to the android market and "installed " the PLAN B app to phone supposedly and even sent out the text "locate" but still havent recieved any emails. phone isn't dead .its a HTc wildfire, really need help!
  22. VanessaWilliam

VanessaWilliam New Member

Will this work if the phone only has wifi no service?
  23. samois

samois New Member

I
  24. simplarleth

simplarleth New Member

but what if you already blocked your sim card and you cant send a text ?:confused:
  25. OK253

OK253 New Member

What if there is no chip or sim inside the phone??
    moreover what if my gmail ac**** is not active in that phone??

how can i track than?