• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Finding apps on an SD card without the aid of a safety net

Well I finally got my HTC Hero back after three weeks, and as it got wiped, its given me the chance to look at it from the perspective of a new user again. And once again, the logic is beyond description.

Firstly, all my apps and stuff are backed up, so theres no problem there. Theyre backed up on the SD card, AND on PC just to make sure.

Try as I may though, I cannot find a way to access folders and files on the SD card by just using the phone so that I can just re-install without messing about on a PC.

So - how is this basic (on other phones anyway) task done please?

I don't think the lack of a file manager is specific to the Hero. Lack of a file manager appears to be the rule, not the exception (if there are any).

Though you found your answer, I will point out that if you install from your backups, the apps won't update normally via the Market. As I understand it, this is because the installation will no longer be tied to a download/install from the Market.

Upvote 0
So therefore - even doing a backup is pointless?

And going back to your first point, sorry but the HTC is the first phone I ever acquired in all the time I've been using smartphones that didnt have basic functionality built in.

I shall NOT make the mistake of falling for hype again
No Android phone does have it built-in. Just use a 3rd party. There are plenty of perfectly fine ones. Like ASTRO.

Now get off your jump to conclusions mat and get to your backups!

On the other hand, if your rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps next time and they will update like normal.

Upvote 0
Yep its official now. Just got this reply from HTC -

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to file manager, I can help you with that. The phone doesn't have a file-manager. It can be seen by connecting to a PC only. Alternatovely please check for any 3rd party application that may offer this. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.

Right, am off now to Tesco's to see if they can recommend a 3rd party shop where I can buy some Alta Rica

Upvote 0
I think that among forum readers (any forums related to Android, not just Android Forums), a file manager would be a popular app, but I think the general Android-using population would have little interest, and could possibly to more harm than good with such an app by poking around and deleting things they shouldn't.

My primary reason for originally downloading Astro was to able to list video files (that would otherwise appear in the Gallery app) by name, instead of having to decipher from the icons which video was which. Since then I've found the following useful capabilities: attaching files that aren't gallery images to email messages (I carry "stock" forms on my memory card that I sometimes have to email to people), backing up apps before I update them. Still, with regard to actually managing files, I find I do that rarely.

So if you cant use a file manager, get used to using the factory reset button yeah?

Nah, none of the above holds water at all.

A file manager is a basic requisite on ANY phone nowadays, smart or not-smart.

Its actually got to the ridiculous point now where HTC are letting down the integrity of 3rd party apps by forcing that app's users to re-download in order to let them get into a memory card on an HTC phone that doesnt have its own file manager.

And anyone that can find a defence for this shambles of a situation must be an HTC employee.

Upvote 0
As a power user I WANT a file viewer, and to be able to do as I please.

However since I can easily download a 3rd party viewer, like Astro File Viewer, it's not a big deal.

There are bigger fish to fry, imho, than this topic, in the overall scheme of things. Android is still new, still maturing, so there are a lot of things that can be improved.

Upvote 0
So if you cant use a file manager, get used to using the factory reset button yeah?

Nah, none of the above holds water at all.

A file manager is a basic requisite on ANY phone nowadays, smart or not-smart.

Its actually got to the ridiculous point now where HTC are letting down the integrity of 3rd party apps by forcing that app's users to re-download in order to let them get into a memory card on an HTC phone that doesnt have its own file manager.

And anyone that can find a defence for this shambles of a situation must be an HTC employee.
I totally agree that every ph.coming with an external mem.card should come with a file manager,at least a basic one,as well as any feature offered on the device should have a method of direct access from the get go.This is where the manufacturers of Android devices need to use a little common sense and have this as a set standard for their devices.
Their sense of priorities seem a little screwed up,no file manager but I got direct access to the exact time in Turkey which not 1% of the users would need or use but nearly everyone would need/want direct access to info.on their external memory card.

Upvote 0
I don't know why your getting your panties in a bunch over a file manager. It takes literally 1 minute to install one, and then you have one! Most people really have no need for one. That's why its not included. The average Joe manages files (if they do at all) from their PC. Heck, the only time I really use one regularly is if I'm deleting apps. While it is a great tool, its not particularly useful to a casual cell phone user. Good majority of Android users that I know, do not even have file managers on their phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones