• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Finding other Android devices by Bluetooth

usml

Dec 28, 2009
Anyone can write an application that allow communication between two Android devices via bluetooth. My question: is that a good practise to have an application running in background and constantly trying to discover other devices (using bluetooth adator scan for other devices EVERY MINUTE, or every 5 minutes)?
Here's what I see in document: "Caution: Performing device discovery is a heavy procedure for the Bluetooth adapter and will consume a lot of its resources." Will the frequent Bluetooth scanning consume lot of battery? Will that make the phone very slow (if the user happen to be using the phone)?

The document I'm referring to is here: Bluetooth | Android Developers

Thanks

Active scanning is always going to draw lots of energy. You might not notice the work load, but you will certainly notice the battery drain! With the current state of "expected" battery life, I would recommend against doing that. :eek:

Even on ancient Palm pda's, where users could "beam" stuff over an IR link, the normal habit was to have IR discovery turned off until needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones