Fire walls! Non rooted

Last Updated: 2012-12-20 09:46:21
  1. Asiel

Asiel New Member

hi

I'm looking for an app that can act like a firewall but does not need root permissions.
    Every firewall I find seems to need root.
    Don't even want to put 5min into rooting. I have all the internet I need on a pc/mac and I don't really see a need to have net access on some apps...

Are there apps that can just block other apps ability to connect to the net? What category do those apps fall under?

Using HTC Evo 3D

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

You can't alter the firewall rules without root permissions. Android is setup so that an app cannot affect other apps unless two or more apps are designed to work together.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

This is the only app I know of that revokes app privileges for non rooted people:

Link deleted, the app was taken off the Market.

You would just have to revoke the internet permission for the apps you didn't want to have internet access. I'm rooted and use DroidWall, so I have never used this app, but it claims to be able to do what you need.
  4. 0078265317

0078265317 Well-Known Member

Sorry that link is not working. What is the name of that program??
  5. 0078265317

That just takes you to the dead market link. Doesn't let you download.
  6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

It appears that App Shield was revoked. I'd imagine it's because it would copy the app and modify the copy to not call for the permissions it asked for and installed that alternate version. I imagine that violates some sort of license agreement.
  7. 0078265317

Never mind I figured it out. I downloaded "easy installer" from the market and now I'm good. Just had to enable unknown sources from the settings and it is installed now thanks.
  8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I understand it can be frustrating when an app you like is removed from the market, but please do not post links to sites that offer paid apps for free. It is piracy and not condoned or tolerated at Android Forums.

If you have any question about policies, please review the site rules.
    El Presidente, EarlyMon and jerofld like this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Further, the app in question for all of this was removed from the Market for a reason -

If you care about security, NEVER install an app that Google has pulled from the Market.

Google is not perfect, but they work hard to be your security friend! ;)

And what is our mantra around here?

That going for out-of-Market apps is your number one malware vector. ;)
    lunatic59 and El Presidente like this.
  10. Good Old Bakes

Good Old Bakes Well-Known Member

Sorry mate if that's because of the link that I put up. I was just trying to help and if it was against forum rules, I apologise, I didn't do it on purpose. :eek:
    lunatic59 likes this.
  11. siraticom

siraticom New Member