Firefox and mp4 video support?Support

Last Updated:

1. Tejer

Tejer Well-Known Member

I have just begun my exploration of browsers outside of the stock browser and the Jellybean browser you can get from some of the roms in the root section, but that's another story.

Anyways, I am trying out Firefox and am having trouble playing flash/mp4 videos with the browser at all. It will tell me it is not supported, but I believe it is supposed to be supported by the browser. Does anyone with some mobile Firefox experience have any insight into this paltry equation? ;)

2. Tejer

Tejer Well-Known Member

3. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Well-Known Member

I'll install Firefox and see what happens. Also what kind of flash are you trying to see?
  4. Tejer

Tejer Well-Known Member

Well I was trying to load up a Walking Dead episode in the browser and it had like the 'X' in it and said it couldnt be played. I have the Adobe Flash app installed and fully up to date, but I don't think it uses that anyways. There is also a test video page for the android firefox browser if you google it, and it wont play for me either.
  5. lEquin0xl

I tried to watch a newgrounds flash video as well and it had a large X and underneath it it said something about MIME? Idk maybe someone can give you an answer soon. Also the adobe says my device isn't flash supported either =/.

Is this what you get? [​IMG]
  6. Tejer

Tejer Well-Known Member

Yes! That is exactly the same thing that happens to me! Hopefully someone has a workaround or can just confirm that Firefox is not uh...good enough to handle it at this time or something.
  7. gothicnerd1033

gothicnerd1033 Well-Known Member

I know Chrome is very... Uhh.. Buggy.. But are you willing to try those in that browser just to see what happens? the PC version has flash built in.. So it might be the same for the Android version. Not 100% sure though.
  8. newevouservm

newevouservm Well-Known Member

Can't expect a mobile to run every single mobile video as good as a pc. Most likely video just won't work on a mobile browser + android.
  9. pbailey212

pbailey212 Well-Known Member

I know chrome doesn't support flash and I'm ptretty sure Firefox doesn't either. Stock browser and lightning browser work well. Lightning is super light weight, it doesn't have any bells and whistles. It's just meant to browse really fast
  10. kcphaid

kcphaid Member

I use dolphin and opera for imbeded video on mine. I rarely use imbeded browser for anything.
  11. Tejer

Tejer Well-Known Member

It's interesting because Mozilla's support page says that Firefox android does support native flash but it may not work depending on the device's capability basically. It also wont work on Tegra 2 devices as well which I dont think ours is...:smokingsomb:

Just upgraded to Firefox 19 today and it still does not work. Maybe it is just our phone or who knows. Was just hoping someone with experience would have a definite answer on this.
  12. anonymous420

anonymous420 Well-Known Member

not 100% sure but from what i remember there is different versions of flash player that are unique to each OS like there is one specific to froyo and one specific to ICS since the stock ROM on this phone is ICS and it comes with a built in flash player and you mention your on jellybean maybe you dont have the specific version of flash player that was design for jellybean or im not even sure if there is a flash player version design for jellybean maybe you should look into that it might fix it
  13. lEquin0xl

That shouldn't be a problem though because I'm on a ICS Rom and flash doesn't work either.
  14. Larzuk

Larzuk Well-Known Member

I'm kind of in the same boat on stock rom as well. On my old Triumph, IIRC I could play just about anything. However when I purchased the Evo, Many sites that I frequented, Like ESPN NFL, etc, I could watch all videos, Now I just get a big fat X, and were sorry this video could not be played.

I downloaded MX Player through the play store, and it allowed me to play a LOT more videos I could not before, However I still am unable to view some on the aforementioned sites. Kind of a bummer.
  15. EazySteve

EazySteve Well-Known Member

espn works fine for me on their desktop and phone based pages. You just have to make sure flash is enabled on the stock browser by going to settings, advanced, enable flash. I have mine set to on demand just so it doesn't load the video every time I view a flash page