Firesheep & Android

Last Updated:

1. Politik

Politik New Member This Topic's Starter

On the browser you can use Https. Anyone know whether firesheep can get account info from a mobile phone using the facebook/gmail apps on a wifi network?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. drifter136

drifter136 Active Member

I just asked this question on the CM forums after nothing came up in a search there, and this was the only result here. REALLY surprised there isn't more discussion about this issue in the mobile community, as it seems like a pretty huge issue. A global setting in the OS to force everything (browser, apps, etc) to use HTTPS would be huge, but I've yet to find one.

Firesheep seems to be primarily targetting social networking, which are the websites using their own apps and circumventing any browser settings you might be using.

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Problem with forcing HTTPS is, that not all servers and browsers will accept connections over HTTPS without a valid security certificate. And some servers deny the connection entirely. So its not a very good solution, as it only works in certain circumstances.

If you are worried about your information being secure on your phone over the internet, buy a mobile data package from your carrier. That's really the only foolproof method.

4. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

Just tested this in class. I signed on to an access point with my droid x and my professor said that it popped up on his firesheep screen.

5. Gettobingbing

Gettobingbing New Member

I need your help, because when I try to use Firesheep, it don't work and it's written an error code and this message :
    "Failed to set hardware filter to Promiscuous Mode"
    My Wifi card is : D-Link DWA-652
    My programs are :
    Firefox 3.6.12
    Wincap 4.1.2
    Firesheep 0.1-1
    Windows XP SP3
    Note : I do not make problems to other people with it ! I need it at work. Help me please ! Thanks a lot ! :)