• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Firmware country and change

TonyTD

Lurker
Aug 24, 2016
I've a Samsung Galaxy s2 GT I9100.
I'm running Android 4.1.2 with Samsung's original ROM.
I've rooted the phone successfully.

I have been living in Nepal for years. Samsung's Kies software reports that the ROM is for Nepal (if I understand correctly). Fine.

Now I am moving back to the USA.

Do I have to load a ROM with a country setting for the USA? Or not? What difference would it make if there is a ROM for the USA (which I have not been able to find anyway)?

Finally, I'd like to move up to Android 4.4.2. I've found instructions on how to do it. Do I have to change the current ROM from Nepal country to another country first? Or does it make no difference? And I suppose if I successfully manage that, I will not necessarily end up with a ROM for the USA -- but then maybe I don't need that anyway, per the previous paragraph.

Thanks for any tutorial on these issues that you can provide.

s2 GT I9100, I believe that's a generic unlocked international one. Does the current firmware have any built-in apps or features that are specific to Nepal? It's got Google Play services, it's not like a China version. I think it should work in the US as it is with GSM/HSDPA carriers, won't have 4G though of course. Set the region the US, I think it should be fine.

To upgrade to something like 4.4.2 etc, you'd have to use a custom ROM, as Samsung themselves never upgraded the S2 beyond 4.1.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones