Firmware update coming for EliteGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-08-29 18:18:00
  1. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

Advertisement
  2. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

it also bricks rooted phones and tethering ;)
  3. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

I'm sure it's gonna be a pain in the....
  4. Ranhead

Ranhead Well-Known Member

Rooting looked scary ..... but it turns out that the hardest part (and by hard I mean an hour on the phone with non-English support) was getting the MSL. Now that I have that, I'm not afraid of Virgin Mobil and their silly updates - hehe
  5. MattWeed9

MattWeed9 Active Member

I've never owned a VM phones that received an update, but not one of my three other android phones on sprint forced me to update.
  6. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Well-Known Member Contributor

this reminds me of the virgin mobile optimus v "update" that didnt do much of anything other than bork the ability to root the phone. this program probably isnt worth the data it will consume downloading it. only good thing i can see coming from this is developers getting ahold of the update and finding a better way to root and or make a working recovery. other than that virgin mobile can keep their update.
    cfreeman90 likes this.
  7. bobloadmire

bobloadmire Well-Known Member

Aren't there apps on the market to block OTA updates? Or OTA rootkeeper?
  8. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I have OTA Rootkeeper on my Transformer, but it has a custom ROM so it doesn't get OTA updates any longer. It did work prior to the ROM though. Would be a good idea to install if your Elite is rooted though. Sorry rambling now and past the point of this being a useful post.
    Xeren likes this.
  9. Xeren

Xeren Member

Thanks for the OTA Rootkeeper tip. When I was speaking to a Tier 2 support tech, he said that soon no one will experience Error 67 again, with an OTA update. I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about, as he did shoot me some fluff bs. If this is true, the take away point is that they might not be giving away MSLs soon, due to the update alleviating the need to do a master reset in most cases.
  10. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I wonder if it will fix the 104 errors.
  11. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

So long as it's not a forced update, you could always tell them you got an error 67, and when they ask, say you rejected the update.
  12. teh chem

teh chem Member

Bump for those that installed the update--anyone still get the Error 67 code after they've installed (and maybe used) a wifi hotspot app?
  13. teh chem

teh chem Member

Hate to bump again, but still curious if anyone who installed the OTA update has tried using QuickSettings/wifi hotspot enabler and has/has not gotten the Error 67 code since?
  14. mikemck

mikemck Member

I'm not sure if I got the OTA update or not, but when I bought my Elite 1.5 weeks ago, and after it did one update, I installed Quick Settings and had no problems and no error 67.

I can't sell you how up to date the phone was because I ended up taking it back for an exchange.