Firmware Update for my HTC Hero?

Last Updated:

1. KieranD

KieranD Guest This Topic's Starter

Right, I just got my phone so be gentle here.

For my HTC Hero, in my 'About Phone' thing, it says my current firmware version is 1.5. I was thinking that this probably isn't the most recent, so how do I:

1) Download the new firmware? Where do I get it, how do I install it, etc?
    2) Will it delete everything off my phone, and if it will, how do I back it up and put it back on?
    3) What will the update do? (other than, apparently, give me multi-touch in yongzh's emulators)

Thanks for any help you can give :).

Advertisement
  2. KieranD

Might be worth mentioning that my phone is in the UK and on T-Mobile.

3. Gertrude

Gertrude Member

Just now, you don't.

You have the most recent software for the phone.
    Keep an eye on this forum and on htc's website. Both will let you know if there is an update.

As an aside, if your phone is technically the G2 (the t mobile version of the Hero) then your update will take a little longer than the release for the sim free Hero phones. This is just so that T mobile can change a few things.

Sorry, just keep waiting.

G

4. KieranD

Arg.

I only wanted the firmware for multi-touch emulators, but I guess I can wait. I'll just play turn-based RPG's for now, no multi-touch needed there. Hey, Pokemon! I'll play Pokemon.

Thanks, I'll keep checking back around the internet. Any idea when the T-Mobile or SIM-free updates are coming to the UK?

5. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

It should be in April, but so far the most concrete answer we have had from HTC is Early Q2, and that is without T-Mobile making changes. T-Mobile have said that they hope to release it in April, so fingers crossed

6. KieranD

Not too long then :D.

Thanks guys.

7. godsdead

godsdead Member

Oh it is for me, iv had my hero since it came out, HTC really need to get a move on, 1.5 is so so slow, and outdated.

8. KieranD

Really? Not been too bad for me...

9. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

I beg to differ.

Yes 2.1 will be better but Sense over 1.5 is pretty damn good.

10. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

I use my phone for business. I receive around 30+ calls a day + emails + text.

I am increasingly getting frustrated when the phone slows up while your on a call and you either receive another incoming call or you receive and email or a text.

I'm still running with the Orange September 09 rom update.

I'm getting so frustrated I am contemplating going back to a blackberry - and I really dont want to have to do that, but I cant keep putting up with this slow OS.

BTW I am too scared to try altering the firmware just in case I brick it.

11. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

I don't suffer similar issues on my Hero. Have you got a particularly heavy app running or tonnes of the things loaded into memory?

12. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

I do have loads of apps, but the only one's running (that I'm aware of via task killer) are:

wefi
    txtforward
    task manager
    settings
    power man...
    net counter
    mail
    peep
    Gps

The exact problem I have is:

Caller 1 is active
    Caller 2 rings in background
    Caller one hangs up at end of chat
    I select phone to call back caller 2
    I hit caller 2s name

The phone software hasn't caught up with me hanging up on caller 1, so, although I selected caller 2, caller 1 is phoned back.

I hang up with caller 1 - but the phone doesn't respond quick enough so caller 1 answers just as the phone hangs up

(you still with me)

I call caller 2
    caller 1 phones me back thinking he has missed my return call...

:0)

The answer is for me to wait until the phone software updates the last called list, but sometimes the pressure of work makes you forget.

this is why I think the hero is a wonderful phone but not a business tool like the blackberry - mores the pity.

13. Wello

Wello Member

My Hero has 2.1 but HTC somehow disabled multi-touch (not in browser and similar ofc).

14. Glaholm

Glaholm New Member

Hi guys

sorry to just jump on the thread , but i need a hand with my hero. I am on Orange UK and am still on 1.5. HTC have released OTA updates but these havent come up on my phone. Also, i dont have the option in my settings to automatically search for updates like most people can. If anyone can say how I can get this update without rooting then it would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Dan

15. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

The only way you can get 2.1 without rooting is by waiting for Orange to get their finger out of their arse! Current estimates for Orange are sometime in July.