Firmware Update Today Has Screwed Up Email AppSupport

Last Updated:

1. charliehowes

charliehowes Well-Known Member

This morning I've received a 70 odd mb firmware update which has completely screwed up the stock email app.
    When trying to compose an email now it just keeps jumping back in what I'm typing making it gibberish ?
    Has anyone else had this ?

I'm in the UK on EE

2. DanDroide

DanDroide Well-Known Member

I don't have my S4 yet BUT my experience on android says to try a FDR (Factory Data Reset).

Good luck!
    Atma likes this.
  3. swampymc8

swampymc8 Well-Known Member

Got update this morning as well. Email ok. Dont no 8f me but phone seems a lot quicker
  4. charliehowes

Cheers for the replies folks. Gonna have to wait, haven't got time this week to be doing a factory reset ffs :(
  5. charliehowes

If I do a factory data reset will it delete the firmware update I had today so then I'll be back to square one when it prompts me to download it again ?
    Also is there a quick and easy way to do this or will it just reset the phone back to how it was when I first took it out of the box ?
  6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Firmware updates stick with the phone. Once you have downloaded and installed, when you do a factory reset, it resets back to the latest update. So no, you will not be back to an "out of the box" state.

charliehowes likes this.
  7. charliehowes

Cheers for the reply BRG.
    Will I have to reinstall everything again and re-do all of my settings ?
  8. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Yes unless you have a backup.
    charliehowes likes this.
  9. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Typically, yes, you will have to reinstall everything, but the Play Store will normally reinstall everything that you had installed at its last sync. I have seen this work and have also seen it not work, but it is supposed too.

Before you FDR, go to Settings>Apps and touch the All tab at the top of the screen. Scroll down and find the stock email (or gmail) which ever is giving you the issue, and tap on it. Clear cache and data, exit out of settings, power down your phone and restart. See if that helps any. If it does, you may save yourself the frustration of setting everything back up. If it does work, you haven't lost anything but a few minutes time.

Good Luck,
    charliehowes likes this.
  10. DanDroide

DanDroide Well-Known Member

There are many backup programs. I use "My Backup Pro" but I still have to reload apps after a FDR.

I have my Contacts set to use Google for backup and sync ...not Verizon. I also do the same with my Calendar. Once I log in thru Google,'s all there.

But, for the little bit of effort, I have found things usually run better. I actually enjoy doing it once in a while, believe it or not.
    charliehowes likes this.
  11. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I've been using Helium myself to make backups of apps and data. No root required. Though, on a non-rooted phone you have to activate Helium using a desktop app that you have to run with the phone connected to your computer with ADB enabled.
    charliehowes likes this.
  12. Tomo1971

Tomo1971 Well-Known Member

The bug as described seems to affect a few people. Try the swype keyboard, that's reported to fix it ( not swiftkey though)
    charliehowes likes this.
  13. charliehowes

I'll try Swype mate. I use Swiftkey and that's what it's playing up with.
  14. aks1979

aks1979 Member

what is the firmware version pointing now after this update?