firmware update via Kies wiped all my personal data and installed apps from phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. bignose

bignose Member This Topic's Starter

I would have thought that a firmware update via Kies would preserve user data, contacts, apps I paid for from the market, phone settings etc.
    But after going from I9000DXJF4 to I9000DXJG4 using that appalling excuse for software (Kies) I have a completely empty device with just stock standard apps. No warnings to click through about wiping data, no strange error messages on the device.

Is this normal?
    If so I might as well put my SIM card back in my iPhone until there is a consensus build of Froyo out for the Galaxy S as re-downloading and resynching everything each time is a right pain in the bum.

Advertisement
  2. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

My understanding was that Samsung haven't done anything clever with their updates and that it effectively gives you a blank slate when you upgrade.

No apps, no data etc.

Not helpful, I know. Sorry!

bignose likes this.
  3. bignose

Good to know. Might as well root the thing then if there's no advantage to staying on stock firmware.

4. tupique

tupique Member

I think the general idea is every firmware upgrade will erase everything in system/default directory?

However, I also didn't get any message from Kies about firmware upgrading will erase all data in the cellphone. This "message me" thingy is a little feature but very welcome I guess.

I did upgrade the firmware using Kies recently (JF4 to JG4), all the files (mp3, videos, wallpapers) that I put in their own directory are still intact. But I did lose the contacts data.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

As far as I know, this happens to every single Android phone. That's why i end up having to root my phone just so I can use titanium backup.

6. Metusion

Metusion Active Member

this is odd because when I flashed my phone to JM1 with Kies all my data remained on the phone.. Next to that you can easily backup your data with Kies before you start flashing. This doesn't change the fact that Kies is still pretty horrible at this point.

7. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

Hey bignose (sorry if it sounds rude, mate, but that's your handle) how does the new firmware feel? Does it solve any of the issues?

8. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Most phones are like this after a flash, Android, Symbian, whatever.

So yes, it's normal.

Next time backup data you need to keep before flashing. ;)

There are some programs you can use to backup your data but I've never used them, I don't mind reinstalling apps.

9. bignose

To jollygoon
    When I was christened bignose long ago it was rude but now its a compliment.
    I haven't done much with the phone apart from remove the SIM card and put in my old phone. Will dig around the forums to find out how to put a "pure" version of android on it. I'm quite interested to see what plain android looks and feels like rather than the Samsung build.