Firmware update?Support

Last Updated:

1. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read on other forums of a Firmware update likely at the end of July.

Considering buying the SGS but what are Samsung like at releasing the Firmware updates for existing customers rather than just updating the new phones as they leave the factory?

Don't want to get stiffed with a phone which can't be updated?

Do you think it would be better to wait for the firmware to be released and then buy the updated phone?

Advertisement
  2. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure (it's just my personal opinion) samsung will support existing devices they already sold to millions of customers even though they had big issue about updating behold 2 customers to 2.1 but!!! since this is their flagship android phone so i'm pretty sure they are going to update all the existing phones they already sold (if they don't want their ass whooped!!!) they have no choice!!!!

3. gibsonus

gibsonus Active Member

PerformAnce is already good although they say 2.2 will improve it. I use Skyfire browser when i need to watch flash content.

So before I bought this phone I was worried about the update but now I have everything I need so can afford to wait :)

4. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

It has a lot to do with the carriers themselves as they are the other half of the story. The story with Sprint's Moment getting the 2.1 update but T-Mobile's Behold II not getting the 2.1 update is kind of odd isnt it? Both were Samsung android devices with similar specs. This alone tells you that it isnt just Samsung calling the shots, its the carrier that really has the upper hand.

5. landale

landale Well-Known Member

While I do agree that the carrier can put the pressure on the manufacturer to update the phone this isn't a good comparison. The Moment is a much higher end phone then the Behold II. The Moment has an 800mhz processor vs 528mhz, has double the ROM 512mb vs 256mb and 64mb of additional RAM. Plus it ran stock Android. With these higher specs and no custom interface to re-write it was much easier to upgrade the Moment to 2.1. Not defending Samsung, just saying this isn't a good example.

6. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys,, I really hope that Samsung uphold their responsibilities to their client base and roll out the Firmware and Froyo swiftly. If not, this will sound a "death knell" for all their future portable devices.

So many people have opted for the SGS over the iPhone et al, that I would be surprised if Samsung would be able to remain a competitor in this marketplace if they pee off that many customers by not upgrading!