1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Firmware update?

1. atakin77

atakin77 Well-Known Member

My phone is currently downloading a firmware update... I had not heard of anything getting pushed out. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

Advertisement
  2. lg4420

lg4420 Well-Known Member

after seeing your post, I checked for a software update and one is there, 154.8MB, will wait for wi-fi to load....
  3. atakin77

Well it is installing now... 154MB, no idea what it is.
  4. atakin77

Andriod 4.0.4, software number 2.17.605.2 71ORD
  5. FiveAces

FiveAces Active Member

OMG... got excited there for a moment... thought it might be JellyBean???
    Yeah.... right!

I'm sure it's nothing significant.....
    Anyone find out the details about what it actually changed (or improved?)
  6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

7. kelela92

kelela92 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what this status icon is (it's on the right side)? I don't think I've ever seen that one before. I hope it's something I can take away. I really don't need another permanent icon at the top.

Nevermind I found my answer. It's the icon for NFC. Now, how to get rid of it. I have my NFC on all the time, I don't need more clutter up there.

FYI. This showed up with the update. It wasn't there before.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy Well-Known Member

I just got the update as well and have the same status icon.
  9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Well-Known Member

Software updates are ota, and cannot be downloaded via WiFi.
  10. MrSmoofy

Figured out the icon is the NFC icon if you have it enabled you will see it.
  11. MrSmoofy

Looks like Verizon is going to start rolling out ISIS

Verizon Wireless - Explore

But according to Welcome to Isis you can only use 3 types of CREDIT CARDS to reload your ISIS Card. Which seems totally dumb to me.
  12. hilmar2k

I'd love to update, but my software update just goes around in circles when I check for new software. I get no indication of whether or not there's new software available, it just goes right back to the main software update screen.

Oh well, I'll try it again in the morning.
  13. FiveAces

FiveAces Active Member

Since this update reset my ringtones, I got suspicious and started looking through all the settings just in case something else got changed.......so what's with this "prefered network" setting under the CALL options?
    Was this here before this new update?
    It shows the set of selections as "Global", "LTE/CDMA", and "GSM/UMTS" and it's set to "Global".
    Shouldn't it be set to "LTE/CDMA"???
  14. atakin77

Think a link above mentioned that this update adds global roaming. I installed the update but have had no time to play around to see what else is new.
  15. hilmar2k

Anyone know if this fixes the wifi sleep issue? Of course, if my phone would see the update, I'd test it for myself.....
  16. FiveAces

FiveAces Active Member

I did a little followup... yeah, I see that it added the Global option. I also found out that you probably want to go in there and change it to LTE/CDMA unless you are gonna use it outside the Continental USA. Reason being that the global setting will run your battery down a lot faster. Just another radio to run and constantly searching for a signal.

I found that out real quick! And changing to LTE/CDMA will not reduce any performance as far as i can tell..... just saves your battery!
  17. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

18. mycuzinvinny

mycuzinvinny Active Member

So, I went to check for the update at settings-> software update-> Check new and I didn't get any pop-up or response. I thought the phone had network problems but everything checked out fine for downloading.

I rebooted the phone and immediately saw the firmware update.

Proceeded with the update and everything looks fine so far.

One caveat, which has been mentioned, is that the default setting for your network is now Global. I recommend changing that back to LTE/CDMA mode at Settings-> Network settings-> Preferred Network.

Battery has been good so far. I haven't noticed any improvement in reception either as described in their documentation. I am in a good reception area, though, so I won't know until I get farther from the towers.
  19. TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm Well-Known Member

Love how they say the "encourage everyone to download the update" when it was forced upon my phone and it sounds like a few others.

Woke up to it the 17th and the phone itself from most functions blazes faster than when it was new and LTE is definitely faster than before.
  20. Nyobie

Nyobie Member

Mine warned me about the update but I postponed it a couple times until I could learn more about the update. I let the updater do its thing yesterday and after the multiple reboots which are expected, everything on the phone continue to work well. I didn't notice any changes at all.

When I read one of the responses above say that the 'global' network was selected, I checked mine and found the same thing.

I thought global had to be requested to be added as a feature on a person's plan. What would happen if we just leave it set? I haven't noticed any battery drain since the update, so I'm thinking about leaving it set.

The NFC icon doesn't show up on my phone anywhere. For those of you who see it - where does the icon appear?
  21. mycuzinvinny

mycuzinvinny Active Member

For the global, I would recommend putting your preferred network to LTE/CDMA. There is no telling what type of performance you will get with that setting until it is vetted out. Or, it just might not make any difference anyways.

The NFC icon won't show up until you turn that feature on. It was off by default on my phone. Go to Settings -> More -> NFC. When you select it, you will see a thick white "N" icon beside your 3G/4G symbol. De-select to turn it off.
  22. Nyobie

Nyobie Member

Thanks!!
  23. hilmar2k

Deleted.
  24. couch257

couch257 Active Member

Has anyone else not received the update? My wife's phone did last week but I still haven't been notified. Any way to force the update?
  25. NickAP12589

NickAP12589 Member

I have been searching for the update daily and my phone hasn't received it. I have rebooted my phone also but still nothing...