Firmware UpdatesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Galaxyforme

Galaxyforme Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all!

Okay, start at the start! got this phone (unlocked pay as you go) from Clove (Excellent) and put my o2 pay as you go sim inside, and straight away im on 3g no problems.....

Then..... See some nice new firmware, (JM2) and think i will have some of that! (Install with odin, not using CSC file Initially, then using CSC -- EURO ?? not UK specific??? file included with update

and now....

On both counts i have had to manually install the apn settings, (no problem)

but....

Apps are missing from the market place, (new google id & with & without csc file)

Im thinking the CSC file is more important than we think, in that it holds APN information for UK operators, and that when you go into marketplace this CSC file reflects a UK phone in some way, and displays according apps

Battle for Mars ... only the lite version is available
    HistoryEraser ... is no longer available etc etc...

So two things can anyone with JM2 see those apps????, and other thing I have a feeling that Kies won't update our phones to the latest firmware (Eventually) if our csc file reflects that our phone is a EURO phone, not neccesarily a problem if you use odin but you know what i mean!

Other thing that i wasnt aware of ... using odin resets battery stats. On xda developers there is a fix for this

Last thing......

Can someone who can see these apps upload the csc file somehow!!!!?? please!!?

Sorry for the long not so well written post from this Android Newbie! ;)

Advertisement
  2. Galaxyforme

Sorted.... Well sort of ... using JG5 firmware (which must be google approved i guess) all apps present!

3. fattyboom

fattyboom Member

I have exactly the same problem with apps missing from the market! Was just about to post a topic on the subject. I bought my phone sim free from handtec in the UK and haven't installed any new formware but i only got the phone 2 days ago.

I can also not see the apps listed in the OP.

What is JG5? As far as i can tell i run XXJM1 fimware version 2.1-update 1?

Sorry, i;m totally new to android and firmware updates etc, if someone could point me in the right direction would be very grateful

4. Galaxyforme

Hi

As far as i have read Google has to approve firmwares. And when they are approved simply put all the apps are available, you will probably find that you can find free apps, (try searching for zenonia) you will only find the free version, (not the protected full paid for version)but you do have a few choices,

Wait for google to update its firmware whitelist.....
    Root your phone and get market fix apps or modded build.prop file
    Flash to a older firmware that is already approved .... In my case JG5 .. Still a july firmware but not the latest firmware.

Hope this helps.. worked for me, if i can help anymore drop me a line

If you are interested you need to go over to (i think im allowed to link) --- (For Flashing to a Earlier firmware)

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

1. Download Samsung KIES to get the USB cable drivers
    2. Look on the website i linked to and download the EUROPE JG5 firmware file
    3. Download ODIN, (firmware flashing tool) - again on website
    4. you will need one more file "512.pit" ..... make sure you use this one
    5. Back up your phone beforehand if you want to keep your existing firmware... dont ask me how i didnt do it!!!

fattyboom likes this.
  5. fattyboom

fattyboom Member

Thanks for this. Surely the "unofficial" firmwares are all updates on my out-of-the-box jm2 though aren't they?

6. Galaxyforme

Hi again,

Glad to help, Im not sure if you get what Im saying,

JM2 is the most recent

JG5 is a slightly older (and therefore whitelisted afaik firmware), Im sure JM2 will be whitelisted Im just not sure how quick Google do these things ;)

7. fattyboom

fattyboom Member

Ah okay i see, I just assumed that my JM2 firmware out of the box would have already been outdated by the "unofficial" firmwares. I didnt realies that its actually the latest. Thanks for explaining

8. Galaxyforme

No problem, glad I could help, you would think that the more up to date firmware out of the box would have all the market apps but thats Google for you, anyways glad you sorted it!