• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Firmware Versions

Just to consolidate a few things into one message (this should be part of an FAQ, really)...

BASEBAND VERSION

This is more commonly referred to as the "firmware" version (e.g. I7500XXII5), though the *actual* Android firmware version is something different altogether (e.g. Cupcake 1.5).

"XX" refers to the Western European region, so users in other areas will have different letters here. The last three characters tell you when the firmware was released:

A = 1
B = 2
C = 3
D = 4
E = 5
F = 6
G = 7
H = 8
I = 9
J = 10
K = 11
L = 12
etc..

So the sequence is year, month release number.

IH8 = 8th release in August 2009
II5 = 5th release in September 2009
JB2 = 2nd release in February 2010 (just an example!)

Not all releases are available publicly. Some releases are internal to Samsung, so don't always expect to see the version numbers increment in sequence.

THE CSC FILE

This file uses the same numbering system as the Baseband in the last three characters.

This delivers operator-specific branding, configuration and applications. The operator can be derived from the three characters in the version number:

VIA = O2 (Germany)
O2U = O2 (UK)
ITV = Vodafone (Italy)
BOG = Bouygues Telecom (France)

You can find out your current CSC version by dialling the following "number" on your phone:

*#*#44336#*#*

A "null" value for the CSC code when you dial the above number means you don't have a CSC code.

If you don't want an operator's specific customisations and configurations, don't use the CSC file in the upgrade. You can remove the CSC file (cache.img) from a one-package firmware file using an application such as JZip (www.jzip.com). Open the .tar file, click the cache.img file and then press your delete key.

UPDATING FIRMWARE VIA NEW PC STUDIO (NPS)

This uses a combination of your Baseband number and your CSC number. If you don't have a combination that's known to Samsung, you won't get updates. If you don't have a CSC at all, you also won't get updates via NPS.

If you can't update via NPS, you can always use Odin and the various firmwares that people make available on this forum without restriction.

APPS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET

This is down to one of two things.

1. It's a new baseband release. Google need to add this to their whitelist so you can see paid and protected apps. You just need to wait a bit for that to happen and it isn't a phone issue. This seems to be the cause of 99% of the "app not available" threads in this forum. You can modify the build fingerprint in /system/build.prop if you have rooted your phone if you need a more immediate solution.

2. You're not in a country where the application is available. Google seems to determine your country using the operator details from your SIM card (using the Mobile Country Code: Mobile Network Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The CSC file does *not* seem to be a factor here.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am on o2UK and updgraded my phone last month to I7500XXIH8. This went fine but lost my APN's, I input APN's as other people have, but can longer send or recevie MMS messages. After reading your post I now belive this is due to the way I updraded to H8. I used the whole package option and must have added the German CSC as when I did the check you mentioned, my CSC version is i7500VIAH4.

I was wondering whether you could advise on the best way for me to upgrade to I7500XXII5? Should I go back to an original firmware to get the correct CSC or can I simply download a CSC verison and add this when I flash the firmware?

Thanks,

Ewan

Upvote 0
I have checked on various forums and have the following settings, could you confirm you have the same? (MMS used to work on the phone before I upgraded the firmware)

APN - mobile.o2.co.uk
Proxy -
Port -
Username - web
Password - password
Server -
MMSC -
MMS proxy -
MMS port -
MCC - 234
MNC - 10
APN type - internet + mms
Authentification Type - None

APN - wap.o2.co.uk
Proxy - http://wap.o2.co.uk
Port - 9201
Username - o2wap
Password - password
Server - http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC - http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy - 193.113.200.195
MMS port - 8080
MCC - 234
MNC - 10
APN type - mms
Authentification Type - None

Thanks,

Ewan

Edit - After reading your post I changed the first APN to be internet only and not internet and mms. This has solved the issue. Thank you

Upvote 0
Wierd on my german galaxy, it automatically set up the APN for T-Mobile UK when I flashed without a CSC.

If you're updating using Odin, you should remove the CSC, or the cache.img from the file before you flash. You'll also notice your voicemail number will be set to the german O2 one if you used the German CSC

Upvote 0
I would like to install the I7500XXII5-PDA-CL64494-REV5(VIA).tar ROM. In this context, it would be a few questions:
I can not use the NPS (does not recognize the device), so Odin's program to use.
What image should be provided as the Odin?

A provider in Hungary (Pannon GSM) is currently in the device ROM. This may cause a problem? The device is SIM lock in now, I would like to suppress this, the ROM update will resolve this? Actually, this would be the end ... ;)

Bonus: How can I backup the current ROM? I would like to keep, if it would be a problem, you can load.
I thank you in advance for any help!

Device parameters:
FW: 1.5
Base: I5700XXIK2
Kernel: 2.6.27-dev i5700 Leshak@i5700-dev #1
Build: Cupcake.XXIK8

Upvote 0
The revisions of letter-letter-number are codes which correspond to year-month-monthlyVersion. Each month resets the number. So II5 would be older than IK4 (as it's a later month) even though the number is higher.

However, as far as I'm aware you cannot directly compare versions between different handsets, the numbering on the i5700 is different to that of the i7500 (I think - not having owned a Spica I'm not 100% sure).

Upvote 0
The revisions of letter-letter-number are codes which correspond to year-month-monthlyVersion. Each month resets the number. So II5 would be older than IK4 (as it's a later month) even though the number is higher.

However, as far as I'm aware you cannot directly compare versions between different handsets, the numbering on the i5700 is different to that of the i7500 (I think - not having owned a Spica I'm not 100% sure).

no matter what I tried to do with this phone it will not become N1 or galaxy s, so I just embraced this device as my bastard child. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones