• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Firmware?

When I hit the update button on my vibrant it states "no Firmware" but when I check under about phone is shows that the firmware is 2.2. I bought this phone from someone selling it on CL and they said they put a custom Rom on it,Will this cause any problems? Also I can't delete their GMAIL account from the phone, Does someone know how I can do this?? It asks for password and they won't give it to me. This is my first time on here, so Sorry if I have done anything wrong.

I know that doing a factory restore will get the phone back to its original "out of the box" settings including deleting g-mail logins. However, I would not recommend it unless you know exactly what the original owner did to it as installing a custom Rom deletes the original operating system. I would recommend contacting the seller to find out exactly what he did and then proceed from there.

Go to settings>about phone and post what your firmware version and build number are, you should be able to proceed from there.

Reactions: RDH64
Upvote 0
I have tried to do the Factory reset thing and it didn't take the Gmail account off, Also I went to a T-Mobile store and they even tried a Hard Reset and it didn't do anything either, not even take it back to the original program. This is the Build number is Axura 2.0.5 and under firmware is states 2.2 the kernel version is 2.6.32.9 What should I do now?? I was thinking about Rooting the phone (which the seller said it was but it really isn't) and putting another Custom Rom on the phone. Would this be good??

Upvote 0
The factory reset won't work because you aren't running stock, you're running Axura, a custom Rom. You'll need to get it back to stock; I'll see if I can locate the thread with the stock files. Once you've got it back to stock, you should be good to go, then can re-root and reinstall any custom roms you'd like.

Does anyone else know quickly where they are for him though?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay, I'm running around like mad for the holidays. I've been able to do a bit of research, not a ton though. I (accidently) posted a thread in "All Things Root" about how to use ODIN to return to stock. Here's the quick link so you can follow it: http://androidforums.com/vibrant-all-things-root/243462-get-vibrant-back-stock.html

I've also found on XDA a few threads:

Want to go back to stock vibrant - xda-developers : What lead me to the following instructions
[ROM] OFFICIAL T-Mo Vibrant JFD ODIN/Nandroid Backup Images 7/29/10 (Tested/Working) - xda-developers : Best instructions I've found

And something I think every Vibrant owner should read:

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev3.0--Whats a face lift?--***(12/9/2010)*** - xda-developers

I just realized I didn't mention this but feel I should now that there's file linking going on; I'm still running stock and therefore haven't restored, but I'm linking you the same threads I'm using as reference this weekend when I plan on loading a new ROM (and since no one else is responding I'm trying to help a you out which has lead me to even more information). All of these links have pretty much the same disclaimer that you're responsible for what you do to your phone, despite all of us pretty much realizing that from the get go.

My recommendation is to read a LOT and perhaps post any further questions over at XDA. I hope the research I've been working up for myself helps you out. I tend to be a research hound before I do anything like rooting and running ROMs. I just rooted my phone a week ago and the instructions I've used from these forums were very good and easy to follow. I'm amazed at how easy it really is, but it doesn't make my apprehension go away any faster. Over the holiday I plan on running a Eugenes GingerClone or Axura, and I'll keep you updated if I discover anything new.

Upvote 0
I do thank you and have a nice Holiday. I am just telling you that I have the AXURA @>) on my Vibrant and it runs fast. It is what the previous owner put on it, but I have done some research and found a new AXURA which is 2.2. I don't know anything about the Gingerbread one. I am not really cellphone suavy and don't know much about them or how to change anything on them. I just started looking around on the web and found the XDA site and this one. I wish I wasn't so afraid to try something, but I am because of them stating about BRICKING your phone if done wrong, so I won't try anything. I would love to know how to ROOT my phone an easy way that wouldn't mess my phone up. I keep reading about it but still reluctant about trying. Would you know of an easy way? I asked the previous owner if phone was rooted but I tried something XDA said to try and my phone said it needed to be rooted. So I would really like to know of this easy way so I can put the new AXURA OS on it, because I asked the other person if he would do the update for me and he said he would for $50. So I told him to forget it, i think I paid him enough.

Here is the link to the AXURA 2.2

[ROM][FROYO-JK2/JK6]?? AXURA Vibrant Edition ?? [Devs4Android][2.2][12/13/10] | Devs4Android

if you do this one and find it easy PLEASE tell me how.

Thanks AGAIN

Upvote 0
Okay man, here is all the info I've found. I put it into a neat little post in the root section called "More Root/ROM info."

http://androidforums.com/vibrant-all-things-root/244533-more-root-rom-info.html

There is one other bit of info in the http://androidforums.com/vibrant-all-things-root/243462-get-vibrant-back-stock.html post I made. I haven't looked up akaskrillers vids, but it might be worth a look.

I just flashed the GingerClone ROM and while I haven't messed around with it very much yet, the process is quite easy. I imagine flashing back to stock is just as easy. Just make sure that you are using the newest version of Odin3...version 1.7 (it's available in the Bible). I've included the links to the .pit and .tar files you'll need as well in there, and a video.

I hope that helped out.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones