• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help First 3 things to do with S4

This is my first time with an android phone. I see three options in the developer screen: window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale. I turned off all three, but still see an animated transition when I open a folder of apps. Is there anyway to shut that animation down?

Not sure, I don't have them on my international version. Might want to head over to xda and check the section for your specific carrier. Your the first person I've seen mention these animations btw which is a little odd because a lot of people don't like them and shut them down for that reason.

Upvote 0
This is my first time with an android phone. I see three options in the developer screen: window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale. I turned off all three, but still see an animated transition when I open a folder of apps. Is there anyway to shut that animation down?

After turning off the animations, you have to do a restart for the changes to work. Restart your phone and you should be good.

Upvote 0
Interesting that the suggestions of what to do are predominantly 'turn off Samsung features'.

If I wanted a phone that didn't use S voice or eye tracking / air gestures, I'd have gotten a HTC One. Might as well get that or a lower grade Samsung phone if you're going to switch off the features as soon as you get it :p

The first 3 things I'd suggest:

1. Root the phone
2. Disable animations (although I hear an upcoming update will fix laggy transitions)
3. Install Wallpaper Wizardrii or similar to get non-zoomed, non-pixellated wallpapers working

As for what I got rid of; that's limited to some of the junk apps like TripAdvisor and Flipbooks that come with the phone, as well as some Google apps I didn't want/need.

Upvote 0
Really people are rooting this phone first thing? Doesn't that hurt insurance or what not too.

Obviously it's an 'at your own risk' suggestion. However, given it's very difficult to actually brick the device and the methods to root are tested and proven, I'd say the benefits of rooting the device far outweigh any inherent risk it carries.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Interesting that the suggestions of what to do are predominantly 'turn off Samsung features'.

If I wanted a phone that didn't use S voice or eye tracking / air gestures, I'd have gotten a HTC One. Might as well get that or a lower grade Samsung phone if you're going to switch off the features as soon as you get it :p

The first 3 things I'd suggest:

1. Root the phone
2. Disable animations (although I hear an upcoming update will fix laggy transitions)
3. Install Wallpaper Wizardrii or similar to get non-zoomed, non-pixellated wallpapers working

As for what I got rid of; that's limited to some of the junk apps like TripAdvisor and Flipbooks that come with the phone, as well as some Google apps I didn't want/need.

While your point is valid, the degree or amount of lag will not bother some users as much as it will others. So utilizing that option to turn off Samsung features is a nice option to have.

Especially considering you have no option of expanding storage or changing batteries on the HTC One.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones