• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps first activity when application starts

j_p36

May 19, 2010
I am working on Mac OS, using eclipse. I am developing for Android 1.5, sdk version 3.

I created a project and decided to start the program with a login page. called UploadLogin.java with a layout called login.xml. In the process of creating and planning I decided that starting at the login screen isn't the best option and that it should only go to that screen when clicked from a menu. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the application to start my new activity first. The new activity is called Portals.java with a layout called portals.xml.

I thought that changing AndroidManifest.xml would fix this problem. Originally it was

Code:
<application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/app_name">
        <activity android:name="[B].UploadLogin[/B]"
                  android:label="@string/app_name">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

</application>
I changed it to
Code:
<application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/app_name">
        <activity android:name="[B].Portals[/B]"
                  android:label="@string/app_name">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

</application>
bolded to illustrate change.

when I run the emulator it still boots the program to the login page... I have cleaned the project and it still does this.

Please help me out. I'm stuck and need to move on from this.

Wow, nevermind, I figured out my problem.... I had copied a file and forgot to change the setContentView in Portals.java... So this is non issue.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones