• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Android.

JStewart

Lurker
Sep 14, 2010
Hi All,

I'm trying to determine the best value for a first android phone. My limiting factors are:

1) choice of carrier -- ATT and Verizon. They are the only two that service my area.

2) I'll have to keep the phone for two years under contract to get a good price.

With these restrictions, what would you choose and why?

I initially started looking at the Captivate because it was being offered thru ATT for $10. That deal has (temporarily?) closed. It appears that currently the Fascinate is being offered thru Verizon for $10. I would not hesitate to pay significant money for Motorola or other phone that was really worth it. The problem is separating the wheat from the chaff.

Any info and expertise really appreciated. Thx.

FYI, the fascinate, because it's a Galaxy S phone, will have REALLY shoddy GPS. I can almost guarantee that it'll take upwards of 5 minutes or more to find you, and won't be more than 100-1000m accurate, which is almost useless. If you don't mind/don't want/don't need that, then I'd say go with it. It'll be the best option I think in that list.

Reactions: JStewart
Upvote 0
I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon, and for my area at least, the coverage is not comparable: Verizon kicks ass on that front. I'd also recommend getting a phone that has the specifications for Android 2.2 and higher. If you're going to keep it for 2 years, you want to at least start out with the "latest and greatest", given how fast stuff seems to be moving.

Upvote 0
Unless you know of some advantage AT&T has over Verizon in your area, I'd say go with Verizon. You have more options there, and AT&T seems to gimp their Android phones a bit, blocking 3rd party routes to download apps, etc.

I am on Sprint, so I don't know too much about the Verizon phones, but the Fascinate blocks some google services for Bing, the DX and D2 have bootloaders you may want to avoid, and the DX may be too big (I have an EVO which is just under the threshold for me, so if you are thinking DX, definitely try to handle one first). With my limited knowlege, I'd go with the Incredible, since I haven't really heard any complaints about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones