first boot setup using wifi?General

Last Updated:

1. paxku

paxku Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I just got my G1, here in europe.

Now, I'm trying to set up the phone, but it asks me for a goggle account (which I already have), but it tries to connect using 3g.
    I don't have a data plan for my sim (I can live with wifi). Can I do this any other way, maybe, using wifi?

Advertisement
  2. R-KivE

R-KivE New Member

Hi my friend.

I am in the same position as yourself.

Basically as far as I know you need a 3G connection to bypass the google activation on the phone.

Wether that means borrowing a T-Mobile sim from someone, or trying to use your own APN settings to use 3G.

3. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

You are limited to 3G/EDGE I'm afraid, you cant get in to any of the phone settings (as far as I know) until you have signed up for (or in with) a google account. This was really annoying for me as my T-Mobile account hadn't been set up by the time I got home, so I spent all evening starring at a brick with an android logo staring teasingly at me.

4. paxku

paxku Member This Topic's Starter

:)

Ok. I just looked, and my provider offers (no set up fee) 1MB/9cent, so I'll just add the correct APN (and then dissable it; wifi is enough for me, and I don't want unexpected costs).

5. reddevilboyz

reddevilboyz Member

can you use your G1 now cause i having same problem..my g1 ask for gmail account but my sim doesnt provide internet so how i set up correct APN???pls help

6. sidkapur30

sidkapur30 Well-Known Member

Hi, i got the G1 to India (Finally :)), it's unlocked, but the trouble is, it's yet to be set up (signed in using my Gmail ID and all). The moment i boot the phone a screen comes, that requires me to put in my gmail user name and password... when i put in the required info, it cannot access the google servers (pretty obvious, as i haven't manually put in the setting to activate my EGPRS on the phone).

Could someone help me here by telling me how to get to the settings page, where i can manually set up my EGPRS settings/choose the right network, without first putting in my gmail username and password

Thanks a ton

Cheers
    Sid

P.S. i do have WI-Fi access, but from what i read, it wouldn't be of much help would it?

7. benmarvin

benmarvin Well-Known Member

8. sidkapur30

sidkapur30 Well-Known Member

Thanks a ton Benmarvin....
    Got it sorted, got the APN and all for AT&T but the issue is it still shows me the error.
    I even tried it with a friends T-mobile, choose T-mobile USA (trying to activate it in NY)
    but got the same message... could not connect to the Google servers, this might be a temp. isuue please try again or call customer care :(

Sid

9. needshelp

needshelp New Member

so i have a htc g2 and it kept freezing so i decided to reboot it.. my android has no more freezes, but now i cant use my wifi. when i turn on the wifi it says its obtaining the wifi and then it says disconnected.. im not so good with technology stuff like this so any help on this?

10. porksoda

porksoda Member

11. Mrpinata62

Mrpinata62 New Member

Im in the same boat as you, which is kinda wierd cause when i originally set up my G1 i didnt have the data package and it worked just fine!