• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Hello

I never posted in this area of the forums before but I'm in need of opinions. I'm 19 years old and am in the need for a commute car. I'm looking for a new job preferably in the city of Chicago. I will also be driving between Chicago and a superb of Chicago for my community college which is 12 miles away.

I am in the need of a car, and I don't want a gas guzzler. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a car.

Something good on gas.
Under $3000
Good condition to go across the country. United States that is.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure you can 'lease' a car of that age. Also, I'm pretty sure that on most leases YOU are responsible for insurance. There are credit requirements to leasing a vehicle. All you're really doing is financing the depreciation of the vehicle over the life of the lease, at the end you have nothing to show for it except the credit history.

You'd be better off finding an inexpensive vehicle, taking out a loan on it and making the monthly payments on time and in full.

By the way, on ANY vehicle with a loan or lease, you need FULL COVERAGE on insurance, you can't carry just the minimum the state allows. That is written in with the loan/lease contract.

Why not look at a Hyundai or something like that? I see them offering leases on NEW cars for $100-$150/month. Keep in mind, on a lease there's also a maximum annual mileage you're allowed, a lot of the low-payment leases are also low-mileage leases (10K miles a year). I could never lease for that reason, my car is just shy of 3 years and I have over 38K miles on it.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
If your parents happen to use the services of a local mom and pop type mechanic shop, that would be a great place to get a lead on a used vehicle. Buying a dependable used vehicle is often much more important than it's gas mileage. The mechanic shop will know of a customer's vehicle history and can often put you onto a very dependable auto. It might not be the sports car of a young man's dreams but will be something you can make payments on and not worry about repairs.

Upvote 0
If your parents happen to use the services of a local mom and pop type mechanic shop, that would be a great place to get a lead on a used vehicle. Buying a dependable used vehicle is often much more important than it's gas mileage. The mechanic shop will know of a customer's vehicle history and can often put you onto a very dependable auto. It might not be the sports car of a young man's dreams but will be something you can make payments on and not worry about repairs.

I found this REALLY nice Chevy Impala owned and used by some company. Maintained by Chevy themselves. It's a bit out of my budget, but considering the condition, and serviced it received... I just kinda fell in love with this car.

2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA LT SEDAN 1-OWNER COMPANY CAR CHEVY

Upvote 0
I'm not sure you can 'lease' a car of that age. Also, I'm pretty sure that on most leases YOU are responsible for insurance. There are credit requirements to leasing a vehicle. All you're really doing is financing the depreciation of the vehicle over the life of the lease, at the end you have nothing to show for it except the credit history.

You'd be better off finding an inexpensive vehicle, taking out a loan on it and making the monthly payments on time and in full.

By the way, on ANY vehicle with a loan or lease, you need FULL COVERAGE on insurance, you can't carry just the minimum the state allows. That is written in with the loan/lease contract.

Why not look at a Hyundai or something like that? I see them offering leases on NEW cars for $100-$150/month. Keep in mind, on a lease there's also a maximum annual mileage you're allowed, a lot of the low-payment leases are also low-mileage leases (10K miles a year). I could never lease for that reason, my car is just shy of 3 years and I have over 38K miles on it.

That's one thing I don't like about the leasing contract is that you are only allowed 12k miles a year.
I plan to go places when I have a car, and don't know if this restriction will be good for me. Leasing in the short run is still less money than buying a new car. Many luxury sedans like Mercedes-Benz are actually leased. But for what I make a month, and being a student and all, I don't want to work my butt off just for a car.

I have always saved up in savings. I have the most money out of any of my family members, but I make the least amount of money. Buying a car would probably be best for me, that way I don't only work for paying the car off, I can continue putting money into savings like I have done in the past. Just paying for gas and insurance and my phone bill is all that I want to worry about right now. While still going to school and not thinking about money too much. 19 years old, I don't want to think about finances too much. Just build it up and have it when I really need it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is the $3,000 you mentioned cash that you've saved up? If so, would you consider taking out a loan so that you can have more money to work with? For example, borrow $2,000 so you have $5,000 for the car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it's kind of unlikely that you're going to find a good, reliable car for $3,000.

I'm extremely partial to Toyotas and have owned nothing but since 1985. If you can find a used one in your price range, odds are you'll be happy with it for a long time. They're famous for running...and running...and running... :D Of course, regardless of make or model, be sure you have any potential car checked out by a good mechanic. DON'T take as gospel anything the owner says! And by 'owner' I mean an individual or a dealer.

Upvote 0
Is the $3,000 you mentioned cash that you've saved up? If so, would you consider taking out a loan so that you can have more money to work with? For example, borrow $2,000 so you have $5,000 for the car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it's kind of unlikely that you're going to find a good, reliable car for $3,000.

I'm extremely partial to Toyotas and have owned nothing but since 1985. If you can find a used one in your price range, odds are you'll be happy with it for a long time. They're famous for running...and running...and running... :D Of course, regardless of make or model, be sure you have any potential car checked out by a good mechanic. DON'T take as gospel anything the owner says! And by 'owner' I mean an individual or a dealer.
That I may do because the ones I'm finding already have 200,000 miles on them. I think I will wait til I have $5,000 saved up and maybe take out a loan. Every other car my family had was used and break down within a year of use.

My grandma will not use her car during the winter months so she says that I can continue to use that until I buy my own car. That I may do.

I'm mostly interested in Chevy. Like an impala or Malibu. If not Chevy than a ford is something I would also like.

Upvote 0
That I may do because the ones I'm finding already have 200,000 miles on them.
I reluctantly parted with my first Toyota, a 1985 truck that I bought new, when it was 14 years old and had just under 200,000 miles on it. I needed something my 'kids' could fit in--they quickly outgrew the front and only seat in my truck--so I bought my first RAV4 and sold the truck. (My kids were Great Danes. :D)

I think I will wait til I have $5,000 saved up and maybe take out a loan.
I admire you for wanting to save up for a vehicle rather than plunge in and acquire debt--which most folks your age do without thinking ahead. Good for you for being careful! Just keep in mind that you also need to be building a credit record, so you might want to go with the idea of splitting the cost of a car between cash you've saved and a loan. Don't get in over your head, just take a small loan you're sure you can pay. You'll not only be able to get more car, but you'll be building up your credit history.

Upvote 0
I reluctantly parted with my first Toyota, a 1985 truck that I bought new, when it was 14 years old and had just under 200,000 miles on it. I needed something my 'kids' could fit in--they quickly outgrew the front and only seat in my truck--so I bought my first RAV4 and sold the truck. (My kids were Great Danes. :D)

I admire you for wanting to save up for a vehicle rather than plunge in and acquire debt--which most folks your age do without thinking ahead. Good for you for being careful! Just keep in mind that you also need to be building a credit record, so you might want to go with the idea of splitting the cost of a car between cash you've saved and a loan. Don't get in over your head, just take a small loan you're sure you can pay. You'll not only be able to get more car, but you'll be building up your credit history.
I know what you mean. I been wanting a credit card for a while now but haven't got around to building my credit yet.

I know how expensive cars can be so that's why I want to get a fairly newish one because they kinda suck less.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean. I been wanting a credit card for a while now but haven't got around to building my credit yet.

I know how expensive cars can be so that's why I want to get a fairly newish one because they kinda suck less.

I had a credit card before I had any other way to "build credit". If you apply for one, they'll likely approve it but with a low limit. Don't apply for a credit card out of "want". I applied for mine because I was driving more and didn't want to be stranded someplace with no payment method available to me without carrying cash (plus it's easier to gas up these days if you have a credit card). I now use a credit card for almost EVERYTHING, but they're all paid off every month.

Even a "fairly newish" vehicle can be expensive to maintain. I have a 2011 with 39K miles on it and have already spent $1000 on tires and might be looking at brakes soon. On a vehicle 2x the age of mine you could be looking at even worse bills (timing belt if it has one, water pump, all kinds of seals) unless it has been absolutely METICULOUSLY maintained.

Upvote 0
Some belt just broke on my brothers car. Dad is saying he might need a new engine or something, I don't know.

I might just wait. I'm not getting a new job anytime soon, so I have time to built up some money, and I might lease a car out. I highly doubt that I will go over the limit of 12,000 miles.

If I lease, do I still have to pay for car repairs??

What's with the deals on that. Repairs, check ups, and that sort of thing with leasing a car?

Upvote 0
Leasing is usually on new cars only, most repairs will be covered by warranty but regular service and wear items will be out of pocket, as will any collision damage.

The belt that broke on your brother's car was probably the timing belt. That can happen, and is even more likely to happen if it wasn't replaced when it was supposed to be (usually around 90-100K miles), though sometimes a tensioner on that belt can fail before then.

Upvote 0
Some belt just broke on my brothers car. Dad is saying he might need a new engine or something, I don't know.

I might just wait. I'm not getting a new job anytime soon, so I have time to built up some money, and I might lease a car out. I highly doubt that I will go over the limit of 12,000 miles.

If I lease, do I still have to pay for car repairs??

What's with the deals on that. Repairs, check ups, and that sort of thing with leasing a car?

To simplify, when the word lease is used, think same as renting a car. The only good reason is for businesses that can write off some of the cars expenses.

Buying what you can afford is financially the smartest move. You'll also build more credit that way. There's only one place I suggest for reliable trustworthy used cars, and that's

CarMax - Browse used cars and new cars online

A huge business that's run ethically, with great respect for the customer. Something nearly impossible to come by anywhere. They sell at fair prices and backup what they sell. Nothing is as risky as buying a used car. CarMax removes the risk. A fact reflected in their rapid, organized growth.

Several members of my family have bought from them and been very pleased.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
To simplify, when the word lease is used, think same as renting a car. The only good reason is for businesses that can write off some of the cars expenses.

Buying what you can afford is financially the smartest move. You'll also build more credit that way. There's only one place I suggest for reliable trustworthy used cars, and that's

CarMax - Browse used cars and new cars online

A huge business that's run ethically, with great respect for the customer. Something nearly impossible to come by anywhere. They sell at fair prices and backup what they sell. Nothing is as risky as buying a used car. CarMax removes the risk. A fact reflected in their rapid, organized growth.

Several members of my family have bought from them and been very pleased.
Every car on there is so expensive.

Upvote 0
I'll second the CarMax suggestion; that's where we scored my wife's car a couple of years ago, and we were both very please with the experience (and the car!). Unfortunately, I don't know that you'll find much there in the sub-$3000 range. CarMax only sells quality used cars, cars that they know won't leave you stranded a week after you drive it off the lot. They're not looking to pull one over on the customer - a stark contrast to most other used car dealers.

Honestly, it will be extremely difficult to find a reliable, fuel efficient car that won't break the bank to maintain for under $3000 - even $5000 may be stretching it. I'm not saying that great deals aren't out there, but you'll likely have to do quite a bit of searching (and checking, or having a mechanic check) to find one.

Upvote 0
My brother had just bought another car. A Lexus.

I don't know what I want, but I know I want something good. I don't want to end up like my brother and be buying 2 cars every year.

He's had 4 cars so fat and he's still young and the cars he buys are not really good deals at all because they all break down.

Carmax seems like a good choice. Most of the cars they sell are beyond my price range but if they sell cars that aren't crap, and will last me a while then it's a good deal.

I'll use my grandmas car until it breaks down. Then I'll buy my own car.

I am still in love with the Chevy Impala so if I can get one of them, I'll have my dream car.

I doubt that Carmax will sell a 1967 Chevy Impala. 😠

Upvote 0
What happened to your brother is the exact reason you have a potential vehicle checked out by a trusted mechanic (of YOUR choosing so the seller can't take it to a guy that will rubber-stamp it). Some states require that there be a 30-day warranty on used vehicle sales (New York does, not sure about IL) and some dealers will double or triple that. On my last used vehicle, I got my money out of that. After having 2 used vehicles, I only buy new.

By the way, leasing as a 19 year-old may not go well. They may be VERY reluctant to do it and may require that one of your parents be a co-lessee.

Upvote 0
My humble advice: build some experience in a used, old car first. Grant yourself some time in an oldie, and some room to make minor errors.
You've got your card, but that does not necessarily make you 'worthy' of driving that shiny new, expensive dream car right away. It would be so sad to see a bump in a new car, which you spent your so hard earned money on. And some how most newbies manage to collect a few in the beginning :eek:

My first was a Volkswagen by the way.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Every car on there is so expensive.
Let's step back and look at the big picture.

Cars in general are a big expense. Especially used cars that may not have been properly maintained. There's no greater risk than buying used because usually most good used cars get sold to friends or family. Or they get traded in to a dealer. When dealing with either a dealer or a used car lot like Carfax, the car is only as good as what that lot buys and how well they are inspected. Even with the most comprehensive inspection their are still risks.

The good businesses like CarMax spend large sums of money buying, inspecting, repairing and detailing cars before putting them up for sale. Done right as CarMax does results in good cars at a fair price, but never cheap. You get what you pay for. Cheap used cars generally result in big repair bills at some point in time, usually when you least expect it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones