• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help First few tasks and what to lookout for with new Xperia X10?

You may also want to grab a few handy apps like Handcent SMS, MyLock, Google Googles, Bar Code Scanner and most definitely a File Explorer and Task Manager, The ones I use are from EStrongs and they work amazing. It all depends on what you do with your phone, Everyone has different preferences and likes to set it up the way they like, You will have tons to choose from with the market.

Upvote 0
its just another text messaging app, but its way better than the one the phone comes with

I have to ask why is handcent better than the stock sms app? I have downloaded it and think it looks like a second rate app and very unpolished.I can send, receive and write sms messages with sony's stock app so what am I missing?

So far swype and zimly are the only apps I have downloaded that had made me go wow and made my phone experience nicer.

Upvote 0
Ok so I can tell you a bit what you could need or just want, Ive got mine since a week after it has arrived in shops.

New Guide to x10 Users

JuiceDeffender - Must Have!
@info
JuiceDefender saves battery power (lots of it!) by controlling the mobile data connection, WiFi, Background data, Auto Sync and other battery-hungry components

Advance Task killer - Must Have!
@infoOne click to kill applications running background. This one is faster than free version. Features: click to select or unselect the app, long press to activate pop-up menu, Menu>Settings>Notification bar icon, AutoStart Ignore.

EStrongs Task Manager - Must Have!
@info
Save Battery,Free Memory,Kill
task,close everything,Uninstall app,Speed up phone

Swype - Must Have!
@info
Swype, the gesture-based typing tool that makes cellphone text input much, much faster.

Smart Monitor -Recommended!
@info
*App Task Manager:
(Clear Cache,Kill Process)
*CPU, Memory usage of System and single App
*Net Counter:WiFi, 3G, EDGE traffic & alert
*Battery Widgets
*Storage
*net status,IP
*WiFi ON/OFF, signal
*setting:Sound, Display, WiFi

Barcode Scanner
@info
Scan barcodes on CDs, books, and other products, then look up prices and reviews, or search for a word in a book and find where it occurs. You can also scan QR Codes containing URLs, contact info, calendar events, and more. Features: contact sharing, improved QR Code decoding, and added Chinese translation.

Meridian - Recommended!
@info
Meridian Player Android App is one of the best multimedia players for Android yet! Couples music player with video player, something not offered with the vanilla install on the T-Mobile G1 or Android phone. Meridian Player can playback the following formats: MP3, OGG, MP4, and 3GP.

@Solution for Battery performance
Keep you 3G off, don't need it don't use it!
Discharge your phone completely and charge fully and you will see when battery will lasted much longer.

Please rate and thank me if I helped you, I hope I did :)

Upvote 0
I have to ask why is handcent better than the stock sms app? I have downloaded it and think it looks like a second rate app and very unpolished.I can send, receive and write sms messages with sony's stock app so what am I missing?

So far swype and zimly are the only apps I have downloaded that had made me go wow and made my phone experience nicer.
one of the main reason is sending a message to many people on the stock sms app is a huge hassle. out of all the other sms apps handcent is the best imo

Upvote 0
one of the main reason is sending a message to many people on the stock sms app is a huge hassle. out of all the other sms apps handcent is the best imo

I also find its ability to allow for individual text notifications for different contacts a nice addition as well as the stock cannot do this at all. I agree though that other than these features (and a few others), I would just have stuck with the stock app myself.

Upvote 0
OK I have not done a multi message since January and it snowed so I multi text some mates to grab their boards and hit the hills, but surely the stock app gives notification as you get a notification in the bar at the top of the screen and when I open the stock message app any new messages have a green bar next to it to show what's new or am I missing something again? :)

But I'm with trid3nt that they have copied the iphone and if I wanted that I would have got the iphone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones