First impressions and some questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. kersey

kersey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have finally received my X10 and must say am very impressed with it on the whole.

Am finding it fast and responsive but do get the occassional need to tap the selection again and have also experienced the 'a' issue with the keyboard.

Have got a few questions which hopefully you guys can help with as Android is all new to me having come from Windows Mobile:

*Is there a way to disable the GPRS connection as it seems to be continuously connected or is this normal with Android?

*Do you guys know of a GPRS data app that can monitor my internet usage?

*Am going to purchase 'Betterkeyboard' from the Marketplace but if I was to factory reset the handset would I be able to download the app without paying again.

Thanks in advance...still scratching the surface of Android and the X10 so haven't come across the common complaints yet e.g. low sound both incall and ring tone...

:D

Advertisement
  2. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

Hi Kersey,

Can help you with the first 2 things :) Not got my Xperia running yet but im guessing the menu will be the same as my old Hero ...

Settings>Wireless Controls>Mobile Network Settings, then untick Enable always-on mobile. That should stop your connection being on until it is needed.

For the monitoring app i use a free one called 3G Watchdog with lets you setup the useage you have and will warn you when you are getting close to the limit and also runs in the notification bar too for quick reference.

I have never purchased any apps from the store (mainly due to Hero being on 1.5 and i didnt want updates to stop them working lol) but i would think they would be fine after a factory reset once you set up your google account on the phone again. My assumtion for this working is that any new update/rom that comes out will by default factory reset the phone when it is installed so i think the apps are tied to your google account and not the phone itself. Im sure i will be corrected if im wrong but this is my understanding of it.

Hope that helps a bit and i cant wait to get a working sim in my X10 to get going properly myself :)

3. kersey

kersey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers for the info, I've disconnected the internet connection as you advised but it seems it's either on or off meaning it's doesn't enable itself when needed...no problem though as I'll use 3G Watchdog you recommended.

The purchased apps from Marketplace makes sense too with it being on the account rather than the phone.

Cheers and I hope you get to enjoy your X10 (with working sim) soon :D