First impressions, coming from HTC HeroGeneral

1. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

Just received my Nexus S yesterday, so far not too impressed.

The phone feels far less substantial than the Hero. The back cover feels cheap, the way the battery fits have no definite snap to let you know it is in place. The Activation process was odd, had to change a plan even though it looks basically the same(But was forced to change anyways by Sprint). So it's the same price and same options but I'm sure there is new finer points thrown in by the legal team.

The camera is almost as good as the iPhone 4. It takes close up pictures much better than most Android based phones. The only issue is it does not take consistent good pictures like the iPhone 4. The video camcorder is very good.

The OS is very vanilla(Read crippled). Multiple issues here with the factory software here:

1. No icon for Youtube even though it says installed.
    2. When I added my google account it lost some of my contacts? huh?
    3. No time/weather widgget like what we see on 90% of the droid.
    4. screen sensitivity is very odd. had to reboot several times when it just stopped workign but kept opening windows on it's own.

Over all I'm not very impressed with the product. The charging cable is proprietary(Sucks!), the wireless tethering is supposedly crippled to 3g only. That plus the phone just dont feel very solid means I have a few weeks to decide on anotehr device.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

3. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

What plan were you on when you had the Hero? It should have been the everything data plan, which is the exact same plan needed for the Nexus, plus the $10 prem.

The OS is vanilla because this is GOOGLES NEXUS phone, which doesn't have carrier bloatware and does not have a custom UI.

1. Theres an icon for mine. update the youtube app in the market
    2. If you lost a couple contacts then those contacts were not synced with google.
    3. There is a clock widget, as well as a weather/news widget. The clock/weather combo widget is a SENSE widget, not a vanilla android widget. Download Beautiful Widgets if you want something similar.
    4. No issues on mine.
  4. viber

viber Well-Known Member

I upgraded from the Hero to the Nexus S

The Hero was a laggy mess, that bordered on unusable. It essentially does nothing better than the Nexus S other than LED notifications. The voice quality is substandard as well.

HTC sense is a bloated mess that offers some ease of usability by eats up memory and processing power, dragging down android's true performance.

It's not even close, the Nexus S stomps the Hero.
  5. AndroidifyMe

AndroidifyMe Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a bugged device. Might want to ask for another one. I have none of these issues. I find the phone to be very nice.
  6. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

i can solve this for you

click here

but seriously why on earth would you complain so much about stuff that is known to be on the phone.. as for the tethering.. cry some moar, its free tethering and you complain because its not fast enough. As for your cable comment, i didnt know samsung owned the rights to micro usb.. you know that plug that 90% of other new devices have.
  7. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Agree with this one. When I'm one handing my phone, using my thumb to press icons many times ends up swiping. The screen will also react to my fingers if they are too close, but not touching. Never had either of these problems with the Droid X.
  8. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

I just noticed this last bit, the phone uses a micro usb port. I just checked with a separate cord..