First Impressions from a N00B

Last Updated:

1. l3rian

l3rian Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I have been putting off rooting for quite some time because A) I was scared and ignorant and B) I just felt more comfortable waiting for stock updates..

Well no more!! I'm not completely tech illiterate, I just feel a lot of this stuff is too complicated for my mind. I also figured if I can jailbreak an iphone (not really difficult at all anymore) I should be able to root my droid.

So anyways 2 days ago I was so content with just waiting for 2.1 to drop, but I kept reading all these posts on how great rooting is and I couldn't take it anymore when 2.1 didn't go OTA. So yesterday I had some free time and I commmited it to rooting.

I went the super lazy easy way and got the sholes SMupdater and let it do its thing. After using that it is safe to say there is no reason everyone shouldn't be rooted right now. It does everything including creating a nandroid backup for you.

The first thing I did was download the nandroid back up for Bugless Beast because I decided that was the rom I wanted to try out after researching them. I know using sholes smupdater to then install BB is kinda a round about way of doing things but hey it was super easy. I used nandroid to wipe my phone clean and install BB. Again real straight foreward and easy.

Now my I couldn't be happier with my phone. I've only tried out wifitether and setcpu and I'm still blown away! I'm running at 1ghz and it's soooo much faster. My battery is better too! 3 hours off the charger and I'm still at 100%

Needless to say I'm very happy and just looking for something to tinker with next. Just wanted to say thanks to the whole community for being awesome... lots of help

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club! I think we all started scared and ignorant (now I am just ignorant).

3. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

wow, this sounds like me to the T. I've strongly considered rooting now that 2.1update is becoming the duke nukem of firware updates.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Lol, good analogy :)

5. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out for DNF:rolleyes:

6. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat as you waiting for 2.1

I am planning on rooting the phone today.

7. l3rian

l3rian Active Member This Topic's Starter

Do it! i was feeling the exact same way and just decided to do it... very happy with results

8. jbarrett020

jbarrett020 Well-Known Member

i was in the same boat..to root not root blah blah

the wifi tether is worth it alone.
    but system is noticably smoother now (BB7.5)
    Dolphin browser flys
    all this could be due to OC of cpu, and only at 800.

sure i had to spend 3 bux on cpu and temp apps but moto pissed me off with the 180 on 2.1. im glad the screwed up 2.1, BB ROM is simply awesome.

plus, i think they are trying to lock down 2.1 and i cant live without tether now. PSP online play on the go!

my only mistake..was not rooting earlier.

9. JoeMustang

JoeMustang Well-Known Member

+1, Same here. I felt the Same way OP waiting for 2.1 and bla bla.

I also rooted about an hour ago. I chose to do it with Sholes mod, and it was idiot proof. as long as you followed the direction off of droidforums.

screw the 2.1 update. i got all the 2.1 stuff in the sholesmod so i no longer care about the OTA. haha.

10. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

How can you run at 1Ghz for 3 hours and still be at 100%? :eek:

Lol. My phone drops to 90% in a matter of minutes, not hours.

11. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

He had it plugged in still.. :rolleyes:

12. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

Rooted last night. I can definitely notice the speed bump, and wifi tether is a godsend for my new house which won't have internet until monday

13. ianthomas

ianthomas Member

How do I use wifi teather i understand the rest. What can be ran off of teather