• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First impressions of the Rhyme

octoberdana

Nov 25, 2010
I switched to this phone so that my daughter could have my iphone for Christmas. I chose this one because it is small and thin. I detest the large over 4 inch screens on virtually all the other phones Verizon offers.

So far I've been impressed with the battery life. It easily last me all day of moderate use.

I like the cleaner Sense interface without the huge clock and huge dialer that take up the whole screen. The 4 customizable quick launch widgets on the home screen are very useful and give me access to all the things that I use the most without cluttering up my homescreen. I love the customizable lock screens- nice touch. It is also really cool that the 4 things that can be accessed from the lock screen can be changed out. The carousel makes using all the homescreens much easier and more appealing.

The HTC Trace keyboard feature is just okay. It's not very accurate with basic words like you gets turned into Jou almost every time I swipe it. Would like to see an improvement here.

The camera is very, very nice. It takes very good and clear pictures. I noticed that the pictures and video look better than the ones I transferred over from my droid incredible and my iphone 4. The extra enhancements like vignettes, sepia, etc are a nice extra though I probably won't use them often.

I've never been a huge fan of HTC's dialer and messaging apps and that remains true on this phone. The white on white for messaging can be hard to read and the dialer interface is just okay. There are some nice features like having someone come up on the menu just by typing the first few letters of their name or number.

Build quality is very nice. It doesn't feel cheap but just feels very solid while also being light and on the small side. The screen is gorgeous, very crisp and a joy to watch things on. It is only .2" bigger than the iphone's screen but it feels much larger.

The headphones are a joke. The smallest earbuds are way too large for my ears making them worthless to me though I love the controls on them. The charm is also somewhat worthless as it doesn't blink long enough to even be seen. I see these as more of a gimmick. The dock is a great feature. However, I wish they had not covered the usb port on the phone. It is very hard to get open and even harder to get the usb into it. This makes the dock the more appealing way to charge but I'm certainly not going to want to haul it with me everywhere.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the performance. I get a whole day easily out of the battery, I like the sophisticated interface, it is a solidly built phone that is light and thin. The customization options are what I really like about this phone and I think it will serve me well for a year or so.

I think it is priced a little high but it is a great phone if you are looking for 3G and has a lot of nice features.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones