First ImpressionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rawly

rawly Member This Topic's Starter

First Smart Phone I've had for a couple of years - as I was put off by slow, sluggish, heavy, bulky devices! Also my first Android device.

Anyway, very pleased with the Mini so far - had it a day only so still lots to discover! It's so fast, light, responsive, and more compact than I imagined!

Here's some things I've noticed and done with it so far:

* Noticed it auto-powers on whenever you charge it! I will have to get used to this, as I had gotten used to charging my phones overnight when Off. I believe the Main Xperia X10 does this also - something to do with the way it varies the charge from 90% to 100%. I'd prefer it didn't switch on, but seems to be a feature.

* I do find the SMS inputting a bit fiddly on such a small screen. I hope in Android 2.1 (due later this year) it gets the more modern Swipe Txt feature.

* The Wi-Fi works fine on my home network. The Browers is very fast. I installed Opera as one of my first Android App downloads and it is incredibly fast, compared to the Opera I've used on Java/Symbian phones - which I can now see run at Turtle speeds compared to the Mini!

* I configured my GMail fine, but now can't find out where to change my login settings! So struggling a bit I think with quite basic manual you get out the box. For instance I wanted to make it scan my Email Box every 20 minutes or so, but couldn't find this option in the Syncronisation Menus?

* Tried these other Android Apps so far (which I downloaded from the Store all FREE): Barcode Scanner, Wikimobile, Google Sky, Compass, and Sky News - they all worked flawlessly and very responsive - especiall Night Sky which considering it is updating real time Star data is very fast on screen! I've also had a play with the built-in Navigator App and it worked fine with GPS and was very fast indeed updating! I was sitting on a train testing it.....!

That's my experiences so far. Overall very positive, and I'd obviously like the more up-to-date Android 2.x as soon as possible.

Advertisement
  2. Requiem87

Requiem87 Member

I use Slide-IT, prefer it over Swype, as it has better handling of dictionary words, and it has Norwegian dictionary. Gives me full qwerty slide keyboard on the mini...

3. rawly

rawly Member This Topic's Starter

Oh Wow! Thanks for that. Just downloaded the Demo version of Slide-IT. That is pretty remarkable! Probably worth the