• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Major Nastiness from Samsung Hits My Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpjackson

Android Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Samsung is now steering dangerously to doing REAL harm to its future prospects. I just discovered that my Samsung Pay, one of the features I really love in my Note 7 (along with the S-Pen and large screen), is no longer being supported by them anymore. No more update for Samsung Pay on the Note 7. This clearly has only one purpose - to deliberately undermine Note 7 owner's use of their device. Their executives continue to defecate in their own lunch boxes, instead of focus on what their customers want from them. There's only one destination that eventually will bring them to.

Reactions: RaymondP
Yeah, the manufacturer has recalled the device as a safety risk. They want them all returned because they don't want any further bad publicity or liability (though after the publicity there has been about the recall I think it likely that you would be found liable for any incident if you continue to use one). Hence no updates (unless they are to limit charging, as recently with T-Mobile, or disable the device completely) and some networks refusing to accept connections from Note 7s (e.g. all New Zealand networks).

The removal of a specific service is one I'd not anticipated, but it is something that's entirely under Samsung's control, whereas most other moves involve the carriers at some point in the chain. So it does make sense.

Upvote 0
Let's stop this, folks. The points have been made over and over:

Samsung, the carriers, and 85% of the public want all Note 7s returned because they are safety hazard.
15% of Note 7 owners insist that the phone's hazard is so intermittent and random that the odds are in their favor... and they choose to continue using the phone.

At this point, no amount of finger-pointing, repeating warnings or personal insults is going to change anyone's mind. The remaining Note 7 owners will only turn their devices in when they're good and ready to.

The sooner the better, IMO :)

Upvote 0
Let's stop this, folks. The points have been made over and over:

Samsung, the carriers, and 85% of the public want all Note 7s returned because they are safety hazard.
15% of Note 7 owners insist that the phone's hazard is so intermittent and random that the odds are in their favor... and they choose to continue using the phone.

At this point, no amount of finger-pointing, repeating warnings or personal insults is going to change anyone's mind. The remaining Note 7 owners will only turn their devices in when they're good and ready to.

The sooner the better, IMO :)

What if all the people who no longer own Note 7's just pack up and relocate to the forum for their new device? Note 7 owners can remain here and have discussions without having to contend with malcontents.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No malcontent from me. :} Having had an N7 for four weeks, I'm just interested now in how long the N7 remains usable and satisfactory, especially now with different things happening in different countries and regions, e.g. Samsung Pay being pulled, and carrier blacklisting in NZ, and Samsung strong-arming app developers apparently. This has just never happened to a phone before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay I admit this can still be a viable forum but the userbase is going down and down. Carriers are bollocking cellular access and there are still worries about Note 7s flash burning so calling the Note 7 a cellphone seems ridiculous. We might as well have a DynaTAC 8000x forum. Pure nostalgia folks. The Note 7 is deceased.

At least you're evolving! ;) Instead of saying the Note 7's explode, you've changed that language to flash burning. That's a more accurate characterization that 'exploding'.

Upvote 0
To be honest I did not coin the "exploding" meme. After careful video examination I came up with flash burn which is like more what a sky rocket does than a fire cracker although they both contain the same materials.

"Exploding" "Flash burning". Does it matter how you describe the problem? I'd rather not have either of those going on when I'm anywhere near my phone, or it's in an environment where I don't want things to catch fire.

Upvote 0
I see that the latest update for Canadian models, states...

"you are legally prevented from selling or even giving away the recalled device. It is mandatory to return your Note7 device"

(Courtesy of GSMArena)

(Mandatory, required by law or mandate; compulsory.)

Thankfully, I've been able to prevent the possibility of any OTA updates being pushed to my device.

By refusing those updates, you may be putting yourself and others at risk and also not be aware of any new legal requirements that may be applicable, such as the one mentioned above.

Therefore, I strongly urge the OP to immediately check with Samsung and/or their carrier, whether such a mandatory return is applicable to their country/carrier as Android Forums would never encourage anyone to actively break such a law by advocating anything other than returning them forthwith. ;)

(This is a personal opinion and is not necessarily that of Android Forums)

Upvote 0
My opinion is that Android Forums Administrators should look into doing what's right and making the decision to vaporize the N7 forum as it is no longer beneficial to anyone of normal behavior that did what's right and returned their phones.

By leaving this forum to continue for holdouts, in essence, AF condones the fact that it's OK to continue the use of this cellphone when even the Manufacturer disapproves of it. Think about it - this forum provides no real benefit! If anything it incites challenging remarks to go back and forth. It may even teeter on poor judgement to host posts from admitted users that have a phone that may cause others harm beyond their control. (I don't want to hear about driving a car can cause harm just as easily because in that analogy attempt a driver is in control and the car manufacturers are not telling owner's of their vehicles to cease use and return them to a Dealer for a refund.) The legality of continuing this N7 forum may even break rules of engagement. It's almost the equivalent of someone posting how to commit a crime.

Maybe a poll can be posted for everyone to whether this N7 forum Should be banned from posting in it's entirety since it will never be positively informative to future N7 users. Maybe just having a 'Sticky thread showing new warnings or bans could be of use to the holdouts but even that is probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My opinion is that Android Forums Administrators should look into doing what's right and making the decision to vaporize the N7 forum as it is no longer beneficial to anyone of normal behavior that did what's right and returned their phones.

By leaving this forum to continue for holdouts, in essence, AF condones the fact that it's OK to continue the use of this cellphone when even the Manufacturer disapproves of it. Think about it - this forum provides no real benefit! If anything it incites challenging remarks to go back and forth. It may even teeter on poor judgement to host posts from admitted users that have a phone that may cause others harm beyond their control. (I don't want to hear about driving a car can cause harm just as easily because in that analogy attempt a driver is in control and the car manufacturers are not telling owner's of their vehicles to cease use and return them to a Dealer for a refund.) The legality of continuing this N7 forum may even break rules of engagement. It's almost the equivalent of someone posting how to commit a crime.

Maybe a poll can be posted for everyone to whether this N7 forum Should be banned from posting in it's entirety since it will never be positively informative to future N7 users. Maybe just having a 'Sticky thread showing new warnings or bans could be of use to the holdouts but even that is probably not worth it.

I kinda like this idea.

I'll pass up the chain to Phases, our site admin, see what he thinks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones